custom game controller (COM port)

Started by
4 comments, last by Shannon Barber 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi all i'm currently in the making of a custom controller for my computer, and has just gotten to the level where i i am dealing with controller->pc comunication. for this i think i have found a simple solution i wanted to test on you guys, and maybe get some feedback. the solution i came up with, is this: Software sends some data through one of the com'ports ports, controller then make that line connected or disconnected, sort of like a normal on/off switch. then software checks if that data has come back. let me demonstrate: 1 2 3 | | | SOFTWARE SENDS DATA | | | / / | CONTROLLER SWITCH (on/off) | | | | | | SOFTWARE RECIEVES ONLY DATA FROM LINE 3 now, would this be possible? or can you suggest maybe some other simple way of doing this that might be better? Any help apreciated! Thanx JFK
Advertisement
Do you have any experience with digital circuit design?
sadly i don't. that's why i thought of the solution i described, as it will not require that
The thing is, it will. The RS-232 COM port requires voltage levels to vary between -25 and +25 volts.
Just make sure you know what you're doing before you start hooking homemade electronics to your PC, and even if you're sure you're ready, test it on some garage sale computer before risking damage to your Pentium 12 machine.
Are integrated UARTs opto-isolated? (I somehow doubt it)

-Fruz-, that type of mechanism works best with the parallel port, as you have a dedicated pin for each bit (hence the name, parallel) as opposed to the serial port which requires a stroked signal.

If you add a uC to your joystick, you can make it send an rs-232 string whenever a button is pushed an periodically send position updates. ...or maybe you could use the game-port which is probably alot like a parallel port and made for what you are doing?
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement