Sign in to follow this  

landscape

This topic is 4759 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sometimes it helps if you have a clue what the question is before you ask, rather than betting on it jumpping into your head as you type. This has obviously not been the case.

Review what you are asking & try to present it in a clearer form, & I will do my best to help

There are many methods to create terrain for games.

Some games, like flight sims, require real geometry of real places, in which case the USGS IIRC publishes maps that show height of terrain and other features. Other games don't require real world datum but still wish to keep the same terrain between games, they can get away with using a combination of height maps (probably randomly generated in a modeling program, and then tweaked) and where they need more detail, models created in a program like 3DSMax or lightwave. And finally many games use randomly generated terrain that is created at runtime.

My guess would be that you are wondering what modeling program does that, well, I don't know, because 3k is one hell of a lot of money to find out that yes it does do that.

GMax will generate random terrain according to the tutorial.

Jason, I dont want to sound mean, but its obvious that you really dont have much of a concept of how games are built.

I'd reccomend you go to the library and look for some books like "Intro to game development" and such. They cover basics such as models are built and how they get imported into the game, how animations work, and how basic structures work. they wont go into detail on how to make games, but will provide a clear and basic idea. Thats where you need to start.

I think the best way to put it is: You dont know what you dont know.
Once you get a basic concept of what you dont understand (like how terrain is made), you can start to understand it. No replies on a message board will help with that.

Go get your read on.

Good luck

Oh, and if your English isn't great coz you are foreign, you might wanna put that in your profile. I know I don't mind answering someone who is struggling with the language, whereas if you are just illiterate/too lazy to write proper mails, I personally couldn't be bothered. And I am pretty sure you'll get more people with meaner things to say.

Otherwise if you are interested in landscape, it really depends on the game engine.
Some games use a heightmap, in which case you only really need a paint software. Or possibly you could use something cool like Bryce, to really see what you are doing.

If you look around, you'll see that a TON of games have plug-ins for 3DSMax, although I'm not personally a great fan of using it for making landscape. Bryce is still the best way to go, then export to whatever file format you need (or import from Max, maybe?)

Anyway, if you want more details, you need to make an effort and write more than one line. Using some sort of syntax resembling English also helps (unless you are not a native speaker, like I said).

Yeah, now i feel like a jerk cuz you might just not know english that well. ugh. and now i feel like an idiot, because i coudlnt structure the last sentence in a way that shows that i know the language myself.

In anycase, I would reccomend that you play some games with outdoor terrain areas. Try Populous, Warcraft 3, Simcity 4, Pod racer, Unreal Tourny 2004, or Tribes. While you play those different games, try to see if you can figure out on your own, using logic, how they created those maps. Try to think of a method that would lead to the type of terrain modeling that game uses.

Just about any modeling program has some sort of heightfield or plane manipulation tool that you could use for terrain. Programatically you can do it with a heightmap, multi-texturing, etc.

If you are going for the use of real world data, then something like Multigen Creator, TerraVista, etc. would be your best choice. As tool quality goes up, price does too, exponentially.

J

This topic is 4759 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.