Best Way to Model?

Started by
14 comments, last by Kwizatz 19 years, 4 months ago
I guess it also depends if you're trying to create an exact reproduction of something.

If you wanted a precise model of that car that had to be EXACT, it would be silly to not use a reference and place everything precisely according to the reference.

But if you don't mind a bit of creative liscense, you can just take an idea and run with it. For a recent project at Uni I made a car basically from a box just based on a perspective painting of one. (http://plang.lawngnome.org/car if you're interested). More fun that way.

If join the dots works for you then go for it, but as some one pointed out - since that method becomes harder to use when dealing with fantasy or made up things, try some box modelling too to compliment your current skillset.

Every approach has a different pros and cons and is most suited to different situations I guess.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
You know how to sculpt an elephant, right? You start with a granite block, and you cut away anything that doesn't look like an elephant!

Hmmm, that sort of goes against how people think. People think positively - what makes up the elephant? I doubt the thought "What doesn't make up an elephant?" crosses their minds much [smile]. But then again, it's just me. And I'm known for utilizing rather... unorthodox... techniques....

Anyways, seems my thinking pattern goes a little against the "normal" people's techniques. I'll most certaintly give try these new techniques a try (once I figure out how to #!%#@ use blender!!)

Say, anyone know any alternatives to their $60 manual? Sorta short on money....
.:<<-v0d[KA]->>:.
As has been said, go with what your comfortable with, although you method certainly isn't the most efficient way to do it. ;)

I prefer to model from edge extrusion (MAX user here). Normally I just sketch out a spline for the foot, extrude that upwards and scale the top verts to create the shape of the foot/shoe, extrude up to the hips (Scaling on the way), do some welding and rotating at the hips, mirror and merge, then work with the torso from there, cleaning up verts here and there as I go.

Most other people I've seen have been horrified with my technique, but it gets results at roughly the same speed as box modelling and it's what I'm most confortable with. Personally I've never liked box modelling, as it takes me longer to try and remove the 'boxy' look than it does to actually model in all of the edges from the start.

Quote:Wow! So you guys make models right out of your head?

I can if I really want, but I find it a lot better to model from quick sketches because it's a lot easier to spot proportion issues on a 2D drawing than it is in 3D, for me at least. Otherwise I seem to spend the last 1/4 of my modelling time trying to fix up small shoulders, large hips and monkey-length arms.
Point modelling is really quite unefficient.

Box modelling is the most used technique, you should be able to google for tuts, there should be lots.

The problem with dots is that you will need the images in the backround of the object you're modelling. You can live with that if you're modeling cars and such but it should be problematic if you want to model something out of your head (Fantasy/SciFi stuff or whatever you can't find blueprints for).

Quote:Call me weird, but I prefer connecting the dots . What if you had to model something complex, like a car, for instance? Wouldn't you want to put it in the background of your modeller and plot its points? Take this pic from a tutorial, for instance:

Bad tutorial, you would usually do cars with splines/patches, having the lines flow correctly in all views, in that tutorial you just get a flat 2d side of the car. I'd google for better tutorials.

Box modeling is not necessarily the best choice for cars and other objects with smooth round surfaces, you'll be better off with splines/patches there. For anything else, box modeling should be the fastest and easiest way to go.
http://www.strangefate.com
check this site!: http://www.onnovanbraam.com/
You'll find some tutorials on creating cars&stuff but you'll also find a huge database of blueprints(cars, planes, even humans).

Hope this helps..
Bye now. Must go and listen to some heavy metal.
I am no 3d Artist, but I find that the best results are achieved by using the same technics used when drawing, that is, set your reference planes, use a sphere for the head, a cylinder for the torso, arms and legs, shape those basic objects into a character with point edit and the help of your reference planes.

I find the connect the dots technic to usually generate models that are highly detailed on the side view but poorly detailed on the front side due to its "cookie cutter" nature.

but thats just me. [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement