Sign in to follow this  
Rydair

Alright Ive decided to jump into C++

Ok after tinkering with some different languages and much thought Ive decided to start my programing career by diving head first into C++. Here are some things I would like to learn: How to program games What Object Orianted Programing is Exactly how an application works How MMORPGs work What exactly does a server do What programs are used to make grafics How to use them etc... Now before you all jump to answer these questions or yell at me for not knowing allready know that all Im asking YOU is where and how i can teach myself these things. What exactly would i type into a google search bar to come up with the answers Im looking for. What good books could I buy that require no previous programing experiance. Are there any highly recomended websites or tutorials to dive into. Those kinds of things...any recomedations and advice will be greatly greatly appreciated! Thankyou Rydair

cool man i am getting into C++ also. i have read 3 chapters out of a 17 chapter book on C++. i think object oriented is where you can connect objects with familly functions. like ex: cout.put('$') that puts the $ sign but you dont haft to do it the long way like

cout << "$\n";

i might be wrong becuz i am very new. but if you want to study together my email is adamgleason@earthlink.net and my aim is ridedirtyga and my msn is adamgleason@earthlink.net.

If you immediately jump into game programming you will probably burn yourself out. MMORPG's are very large and it would take some experience to embark on creating one.

If you wanna learn C++ go simple. Games are fun to play but a royal pain in the *** to make sometimes. Usually after you start using C++ more and more for simple apps you will eventually see how it fits in with game programming.

OOP is basically just taking real-world objects and creating them with your code. The blueprint for the entity you create is called a class, and with this class you can create objects in your programs.

Essentially, an object is an "instance" of a class, and each object has it's own space in memory, as well as a set of manipulation functions called "methods".

OOP is something excellent to learn.

yeah just google something like c++ tutorial or something similar. as for books i recommend "beginning C++" a course ptr book and some other c++ book of your choosing. just follow the examples in those books and you should be okay. this site has good articles. explore this ite further it has helped me tons.

How to program games (That is to say: Take it slow. We can no more explain to you "how to program games" than "how to use a computer" or "how to raise a child"; it's a *skill* and a very open-ended one.)

What Object Oriented Programing is

Exactly how an application works <-- Not sure what you mean?

How MMORPGs work <-- don't worry about them for now.

What exactly does a server do <-- The client program sends it data via the internet, and it must receive the data, interpret that as some kind of instruction, figure out what happens as a result, and send data back to the client which communicates the change.

What programs are used to make grafics <-- Photoshop? I think perhaps you meant *libraries* used to *manipulate* graphics... ?

How to use them <-- [google] the name of the program/library in question.

where and how i can teach myself these things. What exactly would i type into a google search bar <-- When in doubt, try the blindingly obvious first. Actually typing the question that you would ask a person often gets decent results, because [google] will filter out common words and use (fairly sophisticated, I think... ?) heuristics to figure out which pages are most relevant to the other words (even though it doesn't really understand English).

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Rydair
Ok after tinkering with some different languages and much thought Ive decided to start my programing career by diving head first into C++. Here are some things I would like to learn:
How to program games
What Object Orianted Programing is
Exactly how an application works
How MMORPGs work
What exactly does a server do
What programs are used to make grafics
How to use them
etc...
Thankyou
Rydair

one suggestion could be to learn C++ before even thinking about anything about how to program a game... that will not come until lot, and lot of practice unless you consider copy & paste a way of coding. Ivor Horthon's book "beginning ANSI C++" is a really goos start which will teach you more and more advance stuff to do, and sooner or later let you do OOP. Expect to spend at least 4-7 months with that book alone if you really want to learn to do something. Leave MMORPGs for another couple of years... and maybe I should get myself a username on this site since I seem to hang around here a lot.

Regards...

I'd like to recommend making Tic Tac Toe as your first game project [smile]. All you need for that is simple console input and output as well as the use of arrays.

I agree that C++ itself isn't that difficult to get your head round. But it gets ridiculous when you start with graphics, as I have discovered.

I don't understand it at all, I think I'll stick to VB and really basic C++ for now.

A good C++ book won't have anything about images or graphics. C++ by itself takes several hundred pages to explain the basics and the proper ways to use them.

Understand C++, make a text game, then try and learn DirectX or OpenGL. I'm a big fan of DirectDraw (or SDL if you prefer) myself since I think is useful to learn how graphics and memory are one and the same. Along with the lower level stuff of how to the display. From there you understand everything you really need to know about the manipulating hardware of a computer to write simple games.

I'd really recommend working on some simple programs before you leap into full-blown graphical gameplay. You might try a very basic text-adventure type of game, since it'll teach you some of the basics of OO programming, as well as how to handle text-based input and output (though the parser could be a bit of a problem; a simple solution would be to have the user pick actions from a list instead of typing in actions). As has been mentioned before, games programming is very complicated, and you'll have enough trouble learning the language without learning all of the extra stuff that complicated games require.

As for what OO programming is, I tend to describe it as "like imperative (C-like) programming, except with local global variables". What I mean by that is that most functions are associated with a certain object, which also stores some state information. For example, a Player object could contain information on the player's location in the game, their current health, any items they have, and so on. Functions defined for the player could then do things like move the player, change its hitpoints, give it a new item, kill it, and so on. If you wanted to work with a Player object, you would create an instance of the object, and then ask it to call functions on itself. So instead of saying

player.x += 5
player.y -= 3

you would say

player.move(5, -3)

and instead of saying

append(player.itemList, sword)

you would say

player.addItem(sword)

Now, player.addItem would probably just call append with the item; the point is that the "user" of the Player class (i.e. the programmer working with a Player instance) doesn't need to know how the Player class is implemented. This substantially reduces the mental overhead of programming, and makes it far easier to break up a project into discrete chunks that can be worked on separately.

Does that make sense?

If you have some money to spend, here are a couple links to some very good books:

[url]http://www.courseptr.com/ptr_catalog.cfm?group=Game%20Development[/url]

And well, some very good books by Prima as well, but the www.primagamedev.cm and www.prima-tech.com on the back cover are not exactly working right now. Hmmm...

Also, if you wanted to just code games, and getting a foundation for a career in the language you choose is not a big deal, maybe check out BlitzBASIC. It is very easy to learn, and you could begin making games with a month or so. But, it is not going to help you a ton with getting into the industry and what-not. If you a complete beginer, though, it could be a much more user-friendly approach to starting to program. Particularly if you want to make games. MAny people start on DarkBASIC or BlitzBASIC, and then move into a regular language such as C, Visual BASIC, JAVA, etc.

I'd suggest 2 books for you to read, to get started with.

First, Sam's Teach yourself C++ in 24 hours.
It will cover both windows topics, and general programming topics(including pointers and whatnot).

Second, Game Programming All in one.
This book takes you from square one, through making a complete 2-D game, covering many aspects of DirectX along the way. I for one have found it to be a great tool for beginners[of which I still am, but hey...you know].

Hope this helps.(And I'll agree with everyone else so far, start SMALL! You won't jump in and create the next Halo, or Final Fantasy...Just start with something simple. Tic-Tac-Toe can be good[though it requires AI to work], LIFE[which, technically, isn't a game but...], or something equally similar.)

Good luck in your ventures.

Mastering C++ itself as a language will take you 2 years or so. Learning the theory behind computing (data structures, algorithms, , etc), graphics, networking and and applying those to really understand is a few years work. Maybe in 5-10 years, if you get a team, you'll be able to start on your MMORPG. Good luck.

You won't get to program anything more interesting than a text-based console application for a couple of months, or even years. Just try your best to stick to it [smile].

Ok everybody, Thankyou so much for all your help and suggestions they are doing wonders for me. Just to make somthing clear though...I was only wondering how MMORPG's work I was deffinatly not planning on starting my programing career with one. And I was planning on doing a text based rpg and learn C++ pretty much like the back of my hand before even working with grafics. Grafics and MMORPG's are mearlylittle questions buzzing in the back of my mind. Thankyou for all your help and support I will deffinatly be back with more questions when the time comes.

Rydair