Alright Ive decided to jump into C++

Started by
19 comments, last by Rydair 19 years, 4 months ago
Ok after tinkering with some different languages and much thought Ive decided to start my programing career by diving head first into C++. Here are some things I would like to learn: How to program games What Object Orianted Programing is Exactly how an application works How MMORPGs work What exactly does a server do What programs are used to make grafics How to use them etc... Now before you all jump to answer these questions or yell at me for not knowing allready know that all Im asking YOU is where and how i can teach myself these things. What exactly would i type into a google search bar to come up with the answers Im looking for. What good books could I buy that require no previous programing experiance. Are there any highly recomended websites or tutorials to dive into. Those kinds of things...any recomedations and advice will be greatly greatly appreciated! Thankyou Rydair
Advertisement
I am not good a programming but, to answer your question about what to put in the google bar you already typed it.
cool man i am getting into C++ also. i have read 3 chapters out of a 17 chapter book on C++. i think object oriented is where you can connect objects with familly functions. like ex: cout.put('$') that puts the $ sign but you dont haft to do it the long way like

cout << "$\n";

i might be wrong becuz i am very new. but if you want to study together my email is adamgleason@earthlink.net and my aim is ridedirtyga and my msn is adamgleason@earthlink.net.
-
+click here to veiw sig
+My Myspace
+[email=webmaster@hideoutgear.com]Email Me[/email]
If you immediately jump into game programming you will probably burn yourself out. MMORPG's are very large and it would take some experience to embark on creating one.

If you wanna learn C++ go simple. Games are fun to play but a royal pain in the *** to make sometimes. Usually after you start using C++ more and more for simple apps you will eventually see how it fits in with game programming.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
OOP is basically just taking real-world objects and creating them with your code. The blueprint for the entity you create is called a class, and with this class you can create objects in your programs.

Essentially, an object is an "instance" of a class, and each object has it's own space in memory, as well as a set of manipulation functions called "methods".

OOP is something excellent to learn.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
yeah just google something like c++ tutorial or something similar. as for books i recommend "beginning C++" a course ptr book and some other c++ book of your choosing. just follow the examples in those books and you should be okay. this site has good articles. explore this ite further it has helped me tons.
"choices always were a problem for you......" Maynard James Keenan
How to program games (That is to say: Take it slow. We can no more explain to you "how to program games" than "how to use a computer" or "how to raise a child"; it's a *skill* and a very open-ended one.)

What Object Oriented Programing is

Exactly how an application works <-- Not sure what you mean?

How MMORPGs work <-- don't worry about them for now.

What exactly does a server do <-- The client program sends it data via the internet, and it must receive the data, interpret that as some kind of instruction, figure out what happens as a result, and send data back to the client which communicates the change.

What programs are used to make grafics <-- Photoshop? I think perhaps you meant *libraries* used to *manipulate* graphics... ?

How to use them <-- [google] the name of the program/library in question.

where and how i can teach myself these things. What exactly would i type into a google search bar <-- When in doubt, try the blindingly obvious first. Actually typing the question that you would ask a person often gets decent results, because [google] will filter out common words and use (fairly sophisticated, I think... ?) heuristics to figure out which pages are most relevant to the other words (even though it doesn't really understand English).
Quote:Original post by Rydair
Ok after tinkering with some different languages and much thought Ive decided to start my programing career by diving head first into C++. Here are some things I would like to learn:
How to program games
What Object Orianted Programing is
Exactly how an application works
How MMORPGs work
What exactly does a server do
What programs are used to make grafics
How to use them
etc...
Thankyou
Rydair

one suggestion could be to learn C++ before even thinking about anything about how to program a game... that will not come until lot, and lot of practice unless you consider copy & paste a way of coding. Ivor Horthon's book "beginning ANSI C++" is a really goos start which will teach you more and more advance stuff to do, and sooner or later let you do OOP. Expect to spend at least 4-7 months with that book alone if you really want to learn to do something. Leave MMORPGs for another couple of years... and maybe I should get myself a username on this site since I seem to hang around here a lot.

Regards...
I'd like to recommend making Tic Tac Toe as your first game project [smile]. All you need for that is simple console input and output as well as the use of arrays.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
I agree that C++ itself isn't that difficult to get your head round. But it gets ridiculous when you start with graphics, as I have discovered.

I don't understand it at all, I think I'll stick to VB and really basic C++ for now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement