Sign in to follow this  
NewbJ

[web] PHP Resources

I have recently become interested in PHP, and wish to learn it. I already have Beginning PHP4, which is a good reference and guide, especially because I already know C++. Do any of you self-taught people have any books or resources (besides GameDev :P) which have been especially helpful in learning PHP, or while we're on the subject MySQL?

I learned PHP entirely from the PHP manual about 2 years ago, and use it professionally now. If you already know C, C++, Java, or any related language, you can pick up PHP in a heartbeat.

Yeah--php.net is invaluable. I just started with PHP a couple of days ago and am already fairly conversant with it.

I can't figure out SQL without a big hairy reference book--the MySQL reference kinda sucks--but PHP itself is ridiculously easy.

Plus, it's fun. :)

EDIT: Oh, and good job getting PHP 4. PHP 5 is a pain in the arse to configure for SQL.

Quote:
Original post by Edward Ropple
Yeah--php.net is invaluable. I just started with PHP a couple of days ago and am already fairly conversant with it.

I can't figure out SQL without a big hairy reference book--the MySQL reference kinda sucks--but PHP itself is ridiculously easy.

Plus, it's fun. :)

EDIT: Oh, and good job getting PHP 4. PHP 5 is a pain in the arse to configure for SQL.

PHP5 has so much better support for classes and other great improvements. Not too bad to configure for sql -- just takes a bit of working :P. I've been using php for 4 years now, and I still visit php.net daily!