Learning MFC

Started by
8 comments, last by CyberSlag5k 19 years, 4 months ago
I have to learn MFC for work starting in January and I'm looking for some good resources. I've googled a few articles/tutorials which should prove helpful. Does anyone know of any really great resources? I'm a college student so I'll be getting about 2 weeks off for Christmas, so this is my project for my spare time then. What are some great ways to learn MFC well?
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
Advertisement
I'm too trying to find some good tutorials on MFC, but it's hard to find anything except the basics.
The only link i've got is http://devcentral.iticentral.com/articles/MFC/default.php
but I'm sure you've already found that one.
I found a book called Advanced MFC programming that looked nice, but I haven't read it yet.
I need to know MFC to make a mapeditor for a school project :)
Personally, I'd suggest getting a book cuz most of the online resources aren't very thourough. You'll definately need to get intimate with the msdn. Also, check out this site.
-------------------------------See my tutorial site: Click here
Quote:Original post by tordyvel
I'm too trying to find some good tutorials on MFC, but it's hard to find anything except the basics.
The only link i've got is http://devcentral.iticentral.com/articles/MFC/default.php
but I'm sure you've already found that one.
I found a book called Advanced MFC programming that looked nice, but I haven't read it yet.
I need to know MFC to make a mapeditor for a school project :)

Yeah I've seen that site before. I didn't like how it wasn't organized. While there are only like 12 articles, there's really no telling which ones yo ushould read first and which you need the info on the others for. I'll probly come back to it once I become a little more a little more versed.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot, there's a pretty nice tutorial here on gamedev. It's something like "creating development tools using MFC". It's not a bad read.
i think jeff prosise's "programming windows with mfc" is a
greate book to learn the mfc.
www.codeproject.com
msdn.microsoft.com

are the only two references you need for MFC.
Personally I have to say the best MFC book that I have ever come across is "The MFC Answer Book" by Eugene Kane. It is one big FAQ and tells you how to do some really cool stuff, that you will need, by far and away the best book I have ever come across for MFC.
If you can afford a book I would buy either Tom Archer's "Visual C++ .NET Bible" which is a good book on MFC using Visual Studio 2002 or 2003. Another good one is the famous Prosise book "Programming Windows with MFC" - this one is from 1999 tho' so it's a bit outdated but it still the best beginner book on MFC. I'd also recommend the MFC Answer Book, but it's more for people already programming in MFC.

If you can't afford, or don't want a book, I'd do this: Go through the MSDN Scribble tutorial. After that walk through the code while using the MSDN and read about every class to understand how it all fits together.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
FunctionX has quite a few MFC fundamental tutorials I've been finding quite useful. Click the nav links on the left starting at "Introduction To Applications"
Thanks everyone :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement