not using WinMain properly

Started by
4 comments, last by Endar 19 years, 4 months ago
Alright, I'm doing the DX tutorials that come with the DirectX SDK, and instead of a simple main function, I'm using WinMain, and I'm getting a linking error can't find symbol '_main'. So, I'm assuming that the WinMain function was supposed to be converted into a 'main' function somehow, and I haven't got it right, so it isn't.

INT WINAPI WinMain( HINSTANCE hInst, HINSTANCE, LPSTR, INT )
{
     // code
return 0;
}

Here it is. All I've got included is <d3d9.h> and that's it. I've tried including <windows.h>, but that hasn't made a difference. Any ideas that could help?
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Advertisement
sounds like a linker error to me. What's your compiler/IDE?
A console project requires a main function. What you want is a win32 project. This is something you'll need to change in the project options. If you can't find the option, try creating a new win32 project and adding the files you want.
I'm using VC++ 6.

I don't know if its an error, because I've tried compiling the project that came with the DXSDK and it compiled fine, but the code for the main function looks exactly the same (not inside just the function name and return).

Do I have to declare that the project is a windows project?
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
you need it to be a win32 Project. Not a Win32 console project.

Also, make sure you are linking to the correct DX lib.
Thanks guys!

I started a new win32 project and just cut and paste all the code in and it worked.

:D
Appreciated

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement