terrain scaling

Started by
1 comment, last by JohnBolton 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi all, I have a question, if my terrain scale is 1 unit = 100 meters, then how to make my camera close enough to the terrain? Is it okay to set the PerspectiveFOVLh near plane with a value below 1.0? Cause if the value is 1.0, then the camera can not go any closer than 100 meters above the terrain. Am I right? Thanks for your attention.
Advertisement
What's important is the ratio between the far and near clip planes. So if you set your far clip plane to 10, and your near clip plane to 0.015, this should still be reasonably ok.. At those settings and your scaling, you'll be seeing from 1.5 meters to 1 km, which is quite good, and it still allows you place the camera at eye level (approx. 1.6-1.9 meters). Although you should still paly around with the settings to see what gives you the optimum results.
Michael K.
Quote:Original post by budipro
Is it okay to set the PerspectiveFOVLh near plane with a value below 1.0?

The distance to the near plane can be be any number greater than 0 and there is nothing special about a distance of 1. However, the distance to the near plane affects Z-buffer precision, so you generally want it to be as high as possible (in relative terms).
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement