Animated 3d object

Started by
4 comments, last by llvllatrix 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I can load 3ds objects into my program, and have created a simple space game this way, using 3ds objects as ships/platforms, etc. Now I need to have my 3d ships animated at certain times (landing gear coming out, weapons moving, etc). Now, I can use animated 3ds objects, as shown in gametutorials.com for this. Is this a good way to do things? Or is there a better, easy to accomplish method? I was also told that creating a 3d format of my own would be the best way to do things, but to be honest, I have learnt everything I know about opengl and graphics programming from tutorials on the internet (although I used various C++ books in my early days of programming years ago), and in order to do this, I would not know where to begin. Any advice on how to go ahead with this is appreciated.
Advertisement
I'd suggest:
a. Include bone animation in your engine.
or
b. Include an object hierarchy so you can load the landing gear, etc as separate object and animate them.

or
c. Both. This approach may be complex but results are really interesting.

Luck!
Guimo

Well, I can make the animated part a seperate object, and have the the code animate it.

For example: have the landing gear a seperate object to the actual ship, and when it is time to land, use glrotate to have the legs appear to come from their housing.

Does seem a lot more work though if I am doing this for many crafts, for weapons, landing gear, etc.
There are no shortcuts here, the best thing is to make your own model format, it's not that hard.
If your lazy you could use the animated 3ds thingy if you want.
If you do, then one tip would be to split up the model in a few pices and animate each part by itself.

first the ships body witch is static(not animated).
then the landing gear.
and finaly the weapons.

This way animations will not interfere with eachother.
Could you explain to me why it is best to create your own model format?

If we understand the 3ds format, and can load and use the data ok, why would we need another format?

I don't doubt that you are right, but I have never heard anyone explain why your own format is best.
Generally speaking, its probably not in the long run; you're probably better off, materially speaking, using something that has been developed by a game company for use in an engine (it saves you from having to code your own tools and worry over it not working).

However, it is a good learning experience because it lets you tackle problems related to game and engine design. You also get to include whatever info you want in your own file format (ie physics ect).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement