Sign in to follow this  

use existing class instance?

This topic is 4763 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Got another for you... is there a way to have angelscript use a method within an existing class instance for a function call from angelscript, instead of creating a new instance? i.e.: // c++ class MyClass { public: void myMethod() {} }; MyClass myInstance; // angelscript whateverFunction(); ^^^ myInstance.myMethod() gets called here? I'm working on a somewhat unusual project where I absolutely have to use the existing instance.

If the script is calling a global function there is no way AngelScript can make it a class method as it has no knowledge of the object instance. However you have a couple of options for solving your problem.

1. You can register the class method as an object method, and then register the instance as a global property. That way the script would be able to call the method on the globally available object.

// AngelScript
void ScriptFunction()
{
// obj is a globally available variable registered by the application
obj.Function(12, 34);
}

2. You can also write a wrapper function for the class method. The wrapper function would then get the object instance and call the class method:

// C++ wrapper function
int Function(int a, int b)
{
Obj *obj = GetObjectInstance();
return obj->Function(a, b);
}

This topic is 4763 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.