Concept Feedback request

Started by
4 comments, last by The Zeion 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I'm new and I'm italian, my english is not so good so please forgive any grammatic error (and correct it, so I'm supposed to learn by my own errors) so so so, the request I'm working on the storyline of the game a the base of the Desdinova project (http://www.desdinova.altervista.org) The game will be a space shooter, and we have in mind four different endings, BUT what is better between 1) Let the player make choices from the very beginning of he game, like binary choices after every mission 2) Make a straight storyline until the middle of the game than offer various choices all in the second half the first solution is the more intresting, the second helps players not confortable with choices sorry for my bad english and thanks for any help
Advertisement
You have to make sure that the player has enough information to make a meaningful choice before making the choice, and that the choice is clear. I hate games that have you choose between a very visible green tunnel and a secretly hidden blue tunnel after clearning the first room, and depending on which way you go, you get a totally different game experience twenty hours into the game.

On your English: "so so so" could probably better be written as "so".
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
You're doing well with the English there. One suggestion would be to change
Quote:and correct it, so I'm supposed to learn by my own errors
to read "and correct it so that I can learn from my own errors." OR "and correct it, since I'm supposed to learn from my own errors."

... since you asked...

In terms of when to make decisions, I'd make it consistent throughout the game. If all of a sudden the user has to make impotant decisions after taking much of the game for granted in the first half, it might diminish their idea of the meaning in what they've played up until that point. If every decision made impacts the game in a huge way then maybe limiting the number of them to the middle of the game is a good idea - ease the user into it.

As ever,
**Cosmic**
Quote:You have to make sure that the player has enough information to make a meaningful choice before making the choice, and that the choice is clear.

I'm afraid i must disagree with you here abit, yes the choices you can make should be clear, but their impact doesn't neccessarily have to be. The player can make a choice and be totally oblivious to what he's actually accomplished until later in the game, when he see's the effect of what he's done. This can help give the game some replayability since you could play the game and try to figure out which decisions could produce a good or different ending/results.

As for your english, I'd say your doing very well. The only thing i've noticed is that you don't use Periods to define the end of your sentences. ;D
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
You have to make sure that the player has enough information to make a meaningful choice before making the choice, and that the choice is clear. I hate games that have you choose between a very visible green tunnel and a secretly hidden blue tunnel after clearning the first room, and depending on which way you go, you get a totally different game experience twenty hours into the game.

I was thinking about doing a game in a distant future, full of choices, where you don't know exactly (tought u might have an idea) of what will happen after doing that in the game.

It would be like, separated in scenes, and from each scene several different (could be slightly or completely different) scenes might come depending on your actions. For example, there is a girl you like but she has a bf, so you tell her boyfriend you saw her kissing another guy, tought you weren't sure who it was. So the guy breaks with the girl you like and you might ask her out now, and the next scene would be a date. However, if you didn't do that and talk to the girl, your next scene would be you at your home doing nothing.

However, after you finish the game, you can play scenes independently, so you may do that scene again and that could open the path for the date scene, but since you already had done it the otherway you can also play that scene again. From there on you might choose any scene you have openned.

I am not asking if my idea is good, I am just asking if you would get pissed off at a game like this.
thaks to you all (for english lessions too)

the choices in this game will be made between missions, with a little "breafing" (in the shape of a little cutscene) on what that choice may change (Wing Commander 3/4 style, to be clear), so we don't plan to let players do blind choices to see what will be.

I don't like "in game" tutorials, because tutorials are usefull just the first time I play a game, and are not consistent in a space shooter where the protagonist impersonated by the player is supposed to know how to pilot a ship.

We plan to put the player in action from the beginning of the story, and leave the tutorial as a choice in the game menu.

as usual, english corrections and any positive or negative comment is welcome

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement