I need a little help

Started by
5 comments, last by neogoukix 19 years, 4 months ago
Hey there folks I haven't been here in a while but I need a little help. As a few of you may know I've been working on a little story called Chaotic Universe for a little over 3 years now. I just began writing the sequel Chaotic Universe 2: Universe Wars. My problem is the name, the farther I get the more i'm led to believe that I should change the subtitle. You see, the Universal Tournament, an invitational put together by the "somewhat" bad-guy Earon(which he put together to eliminate all of his enemies)is the most important part of the story. Not the Universe War that takes place at the first half of the story. But at the end of the story they fight Jagan an enemy from the previous heroes Tim and Chigau's past. Some name suggestions would be helpful. I don't care what they are but this isn't a joke.... I'm serious
Advertisement
I would need to know more before I seriously tried to think up a name.. But, given what we have. I would suggest trying to remove the second instance of "Universe" from your title, which is probably why it feel so uncomfortable for you.

If what you want to highlight from your story is the acutal tournament that takes place, try to contrive a name from that. Try finding something about the actual tournament that you can play off of:

Chaotic Universe:
-----------------
-Last man standing
-One/Single loss elimination
-Fight to the end
-Final Champion
-Final Round

Im not really stressing that any of these are better, but at least you lose the redundancy of the word "Universe" and still keeps its validity to your story..
To me, games with 'subtitles' just sound plain goofy. There's a couple of good posts on Game Matters about it...

http://dukenukem.typepad.com/game_matters/2004/04/dumb_name_no_di.html

and

http://dukenukem.typepad.com/game_matters/2004/02/the_name_of_the.html

Hope this helps

Pete
I'd suggest killing the name "Chaotic Universe" myself. That may be what your characters call the universe by, or perhaps this is a different universe in the story that they're referring to, but it doesn't...catch me. Others might feel differently.

You didn't give us much to go on, but I'm guessing that the first story deals with the tournament (i.e. Mortal Kombat), and the second story expands that into some sort of war. Again, I'm going to guess and say it's a cross-dimensional, forces of evil invading our universe from the chaotic universe sort of deal? The heroes defeated the bad guys in the tournament the first time around, now the survivors - or their decendants, or their apprentices, or somesuch - are leading the chaotic minions through some portal into the homeworld, aka our universe?

First, I'd give a name for the tournament of the first story. It's a chaotic universe so you named it Chaotic Universe as a general term, but your tournament needs a name - something more substantive and catchy than Chaos Tournament, in case that comes up. Games using the same format/concept are of course Mortal Kombat and Twisted Metal, both being the names of the tournament itself.

Sticking with the whole Chaotic Universe title - if I'm right about the whole cross-dimensional thing, you could play off whatever name you give the portal as a story title. Chaotic Universe II: Ares Gate, or Chaotic Universe II: Demon Gate has a stronger ring. Then if you decide to go back and give your first story a subtitle, you can name it based on the tournament itself - Chaotic Universe: Tournament of Heroes, or somesuch.

Or I could be totally offbase with my guesses and speaking out of my arse ;)
[font "arial"] Everything you can imagine...is real.
Quote:Original post by EricTrickster
I'd suggest killing the name "Chaotic Universe" myself. That may be what your characters call the universe by, or perhaps this is a different universe in the story that they're referring to, but it doesn't...catch me. Others might feel differently.

You didn't give us much to go on, but I'm guessing that the first story deals with the tournament (i.e. Mortal Kombat), and the second story expands that into some sort of war. Again, I'm going to guess and say it's a cross-dimensional, forces of evil invading our universe from the chaotic universe sort of deal? The heroes defeated the bad guys in the tournament the first time around, now the survivors - or their decendants, or their apprentices, or somesuch - are leading the chaotic minions through some portal into the homeworld, aka our universe?

First, I'd give a name for the tournament of the first story. It's a chaotic universe so you named it Chaotic Universe as a general term, but your tournament needs a name - something more substantive and catchy than Chaos Tournament, in case that comes up. Games using the same format/concept are of course Mortal Kombat and Twisted Metal, both being the names of the tournament itself.

Sticking with the whole Chaotic Universe title - if I'm right about the whole cross-dimensional thing, you could play off whatever name you give the portal as a story title. Chaotic Universe II: Ares Gate, or Chaotic Universe II: Demon Gate has a stronger ring. Then if you decide to go back and give your first story a subtitle, you can name it based on the tournament itself - Chaotic Universe: Tournament of Heroes, or somesuch.

Or I could be totally offbase with my guesses and speaking out of my arse ;)

Okay, the first Chaotic Universe is really just the heroes getting missions and fighting the bad guys their told to(Kinda like Yu Yu Hakusho). Sorry to sound so linear but if I go to far you may get confused. The only exception to the plot in CU1 is Earon's invitational, for plot reasons I decided not to make it a tournament. For the most part the beggining of CU2 deals with the Universe War. By the mid part of the story the "Universal Tournament" begins, it's the longest part of the story and it's the turning point in the Chaotic Universe canon.
You could just call the second book "Universe Wars" with no "Chaotic Universe" in front. I'd also suggest looking at the name you already have once again. Because it seems the title "Universe Wars" could be used in a symbolic way, in the essence that there really is no universal war or even if it isn't a giant aspect of the book, it could be in reference to the struggles of the main characters. Their "battles" with either themselves or with others, mentally and possibly physically. I think you see what I mean though, so I'll leave the rest up to you. Good luck. :)
Quote:Original post by Omega147
You could just call the second book "Universe Wars" with no "Chaotic Universe" in front. I'd also suggest looking at the name you already have once again. Because it seems the title "Universe Wars" could be used in a symbolic way, in the essence that there really is no universal war or even if it isn't a giant aspect of the book, it could be in reference to the struggles of the main characters. Their "battles" with either themselves or with others, mentally and possibly physically. I think you see what I mean though, so I'll leave the rest up to you. Good luck. :)

Thanks alot!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement