How to check user input

Started by
7 comments, last by the_dannobot 19 years, 4 months ago
im currently learning C++ and i am messing with some small sample programs. Here is my code

#include <iostream> // needed for I/O
#include <stdlib.h> 

using namespace std;

int PCInfo();

int main()      // Main funtion.
{

PCInfo();   

system("PAUSE");	// Keep window open.
  return 0;
}

int PCInfo()
    {
        string PCName;
        string Race;

cout << " pick a name " << endl;
        cin >> PCName;
        cout << " pick your race. Type 'human' for Human Race or 'elven' for Elven race. " << endl;
        cin >> Race;
        cout << " Your name is " << PCName << " " << " and yor race is " << Race << " " << endl;
    }    
What I want to know is, for the user name, if they enter a number, how do i create an error for that and have it repeat the funtion PCInfo()? thanks.
Advertisement
You can check for a number with the isdigit() method in the cctype standard library.

Quote:
What I want to know is, for the user name, if they enter a number, how do i create an error for that and have it repeat the funtion PCInfo()? thanks.

You should try something like this instead:

bool getPCInfo(){  string PCName = "";  string PCRace = "";  // I/O output omitted  if (PCRace == "human" || PCRace == "elven")    return true;  else    return false;}int main(){  bool finishedCharacterCreation = false;  while (!finishedCharacterCreation)  {    finishedCharacterCreation = getPCInfo();  }}

If you want the user to select from among several well-defined types, it's probably better to use an enumeration:

enum PlayerRace{  Human,  Elf,  Dwarf,  Gloobleshnortz};// ...bool setupPCRace{  // ...  if (isInvalidRace(PCRace))  {    return false;  }  switch (PCRace)  {    case PlayerRace.Human:      player.setHitPoints(100);      player.setManaPoints(80);      break;    case PlayerRace.Elf:      player.setHitPoints(80);      player.setManaPoints(125);      break;    // ...  }  return true;}

In this particular case, however, it seems better to let the user pick from a menu. (1) for human, (2) for elven, that kind of thing. Then you can use a switch statement ot handle your logic:

switch (PCRace){  case 0: // human    // ...  case 1: // elven    // ...};
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Well, here's one way to do it. First, after receiving an input, go through the string character at a time looking for something you don't want (a 0-9 in your case). Then if everything checks out, return a "1". Otherwise have your PCInfo() return a "0". Then in your main() just keep calling the procedure (in a loop) until it returns a 1.
Thanks so much for all the help. That makes so much more sence. I am getting one error though. It keeps giving me 19 C:\Dev-Cpp\RaceList.cpp syntax error before `{' token

in the line
bool setupPCRace{    if(IsInvalidRace(PCRace))    {        return false;    }

Tanks
Quote:Original post by Shewolf
bool setupPCRace // <-- Arr matey whaur's ye bloomin argument list?
{

if(IsInvalidRace(PCRace))
{
return false;
}

Even if you want no parameters for a function, you still need ()'s there.
i think that was supposed to be a function, e.g.
bool setupPCRace(){   /* code goes here */}

<edit :: beaten by Zahlman ;)
- stormrunner
Hmm...still getting an error
#include <iostream>#include <cstdlib>using namespace std;enum PCRace{    Human,    Elf,    HalfElf,    Dwarf,    Dratch,    Fay,    Lycanthrope,    Dryad};bool setupPCRace(){    if (IsInvalidRace(PCRace))    {        return false;    }              switch (PCRace)    {        case PCRace.Human:            player.SetHitPoints(15);            player.SetManaPoints(10);            player.SetDexPoints(12);        case PCRace.Elf:            player.SetHitPoints(12);            player.SetManaPoints(15);            player.SetDexPoints(10);        case PCRace.HalfElf:            player.SetHitPoints(14);            player.SetManaPoints(12);            player.SetDexPoints(11);        case PCRace.Dwarf:            player.SetHitPoints(15);            player.SetManaPoints(10);            player.SetDexPoints(15);        case PCRace.Dratch:            player.SetHitPoints(15);            player.SetManaPoints(11);            player.SetDexPoints(13);        case PCRace.Fay:            player.SetHitPoints(10);            player.SetManaPoints(20);            player.SetDexPoints(10);        case PCRace.Lycanthrope:            player.SetHitPoints(15);            player.SetManaPoints(10);            player.SetDexPoints(14);        case PCRace.Dryad:            player.SetHitPoints(12);            player.SetManaPoints(15);            player.SetDexPoints(12);   }   return true;}                                           

You can error check cin.operator>>

while(true){  if (!(cin >> PCName))  {    //the user entered invalid input    //clear the fail bit of the input stream    cin.clear();    //clear all the junk out of the input stream    //junk could be numbers, carriage returns, spaces, tabs, etc.    cin.flush();        //output an error message    cout << "You entered an invalid name.  Try again.\n";  }  else  {    //the user entered valid input    break;  }}

Quote:
cin >> PCName;
cin >> Race;

This will also not work correctly if I enter "John Doe" for my name. PCName would be "John" and Race would be "Doe".
    switch (PCRace)    {        case PCRace.Human:            player.SetHitPoints(15);            player.SetManaPoints(10);            player.SetDexPoints(12);        case PCRace.Elf:            player.SetHitPoints(12);            player.SetManaPoints(15);            player.SetDexPoints(10);                 etc...   }   return true;}                                           

You need to use the break statement in a switch statement, or else it will keep stepping down through your code. Try putting "break;" after you call player.SetDexPoints(int) in those case statements.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement