Sign in to follow this  

2D game with DirectX 9?

This topic is 4761 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I'm a beginner in game programming and would like to make first 2D games only. My problem is, that books about DirectX 9 seem to center heavily on using 3D and I dont want to learn that yet. Which book should I get that would tell how to make plain ole 2D games (with dx9)? Should I just rely on the SDK documentation at microsoft's pages? Other resources? Any1?

This may not be the answer you're looking for cuz I don't know what book to reconmend, but did you ever consider just doing your 2D game in 3D? There is a D3DX interface for Sprites, and if you use that you'll get some blazing fast 2D and all you have to worry about D3D wise is how to setup your device. Just a thought, but by using 3D for 2D you also get alpha blending , rotation, and flippingfor free (i.e., no extra work on your part).

Unless you are wanting to learn to do it yourself you may want to try a 2d wrapper for directx like HGE

HGE is actually a 2d wrapper for Directx8 but there are no new 2d specific features in Dx9 so it really doesn't matter. HGE helps to cut out much of the mess of setting up DirectX and it also has helper classes for dealing with resources, animations, fonts, etc.

I am doing 2D stuff. A good book that I highly recommend is "Game Programming for Dummies" by Andre La'mothe. I think my copy is about 4-5 years old, but its still super useful.
A slightly more recent (and thicker) book also by Andre La'mothe is "Tricks of the Game Programming Gurus" which gets into a lot more detail and deeper into topics such as AI, tiles, etc.
I also consider myself a newbie to game programming and I don't want to get into 3D programming yet (though I have lots of books on it).
I must suck though, because I cant find anything useful about directX on msdn. Anyone have a useful MSDN DirectX resource bookmarked? something that has the whole API documented?

I hope this could help you

I've read a book named "inside DirectX" by Bradley Bargen and Peter Donnelly its about DirectX7.0 but the basics of 2D works fine with DirectX9.0. it has a CD whit useful examples

also you can search about DIRECTDRAWSURFACES and the Clipping and Bliting methods checking also the Help you will succed.

Quote:
Original post by slayemin
I must suck though, because I cant find anything useful about directX on msdn. Anyone have a useful MSDN DirectX resource bookmarked? something that has the whole API documented?

Here's two MSDN DirectX links which might help:

DirectX 9 SDK documentation

Direct3D API Reference

\Jimmy H

This topic is 4761 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.