Sign in to follow this  
mikesixty4

newbie looking for book help

I have recently been interested in developing games, not anything in particular really just doing it for the fun of it and maybe later developing more. Anyway I am graduating from SUNYIT in Utica with a Bachelor’s in Computer Science at the end of December so I have done plenty of basic programming with the following languages: C++ Java Basic Visual Basic Some Database Programming with SQL MSSQL MySQL etc PHP, html, xml, pretty much anything related to the web And this semester started on Visual Studio .NET C# mainly There are other but don’t feel like adding them Now I have looked at the For Beginners Section and saw the four books that are recommended to begin looking at for game development. I was wondering which one I should start with out of those or should I start with them all? And does anyone here have other recommendations of other more recent books that would be good to look at? I would look at websites like this for information and I do, but I still prefer having a book to read over reading off of a monitor, for some reason it bothers me. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me,

I was in the same position recently and what I ended up doing was getting the book Game Programming All in one. It uses the Allegro library to ease you into game programming, covering the basics pretty well (not perfect, but good for a beginner).

After that, I moved to lower level API's like DirectX and OpenGL (which is where I am right now). I'm guessing after this I might get a book on techniques, but I'm still not quite sure. By learning the API's, I can program most basic games (Tetris, Pong, Pac-man, 2D scroller, etc), which is a good start. :)

thanks for your help,

I saw game programming all in one book at barnes and knobles and almost bought it yesterday.

I guess I will have to go back and get it.

You could get the OpenGL Game Programming book. It doesn't go through C++, it assumes you already know it. It's in the Resources -> Book section. The book might be outdated though, I'm not sure. I got the book, and its wonderful, but I just never really read it yet (Ch 3ish. =\).

Btw, the people who made GameDev wrote this book. ^_^