Sign in to follow this  
JasonHise

[.net] Dynamic resource compilation

[background info] I'm developing a tool for making cell based puzzle games. The idea is that the user can create a project, add sound, music and image resources, and add object scripts to handle how objects interact. An example of the code for a pushable block might look something like this:

OBJECT BLOCK
{
	SPRITE = "block.bmp"
	LAYER  = "OBJECT_LAYER"

NOTIFY
	{
		MOVE_REFUSED
		{
			PLAY_SOUND "collide.wav"
		}
	}

PERMISSIONS
	{
		HERO ENTER
		{
			IF MOVE THIS THIS.FACING
			{
				ALLOW
			}
			ELSE
			{
				DENY
			}
		}

DEFAULT ENTER
		{
			DENY
		}
	}
}

My plan is to do some syntax checking, and then convert this and all of the other objects defined into a C# class which derives from a base class called Game. Then I would use CodeDOM or something like it to compile the C# code into a dll and throw it into a games directory. Another program would allow the user to select any game in that directory and make levels for it. [/background info] The problem I have is that I cannot find any information on compiling resources (the sounds, music, and images in the user's project) into a .NET assembly at runtime. Is this feature available? If so, how is it done? Thanks in advance.

Compiling resources into an assembly at runtime is just a specialized case of runtime compilation. You mentioned CodeDOM, so I'm assuming you're already familiar with it. Run the compiler with the "/res:" switch: csc /res:myResourceFile.resources [...] by using the System.CodeDom.Compiler.CompilerOptions class. Here's some quick-n-dirty code that runs by the potential of CompilerParameters:

// ...

// Obtain an ICodeCompiler from a CodeDomProvider class.
ICodeCompiler compiler = provider.CreateCompiler();
CompilerParameters cp = new CompilerParameters();
// Generate a resource library rather than an executable (fails if you don't have an entry point).
cp.GenerateExecutable = false;
// Set the assembly file name to generate.
cp.OutputAssembly = "foobar.dll";
// Generate debug information.
cp.IncludeDebugInformation = true;
// Add an assembly reference.
cp.ReferencedAssemblies.Add("System.dll");
// Save the assembly as a physical file.
cp.GenerateInMemory = false;
// Set the warning level at which the compiler should abort compilation if a warning of this level occurs.
cp.WarningLevel = 4;
// Set whether to treat all warnings as errors.
cp.TreatWarningsAsErrors = false;
// Set compiler argument to optimize output.
cp.CompilerOptions = "/res:myResourceFile.resources /optimize";

[...]

CompilerResults cr = myCompiler.CompileAssemblyFromFile(cp, "mySourceFile.cs");

if (cr.Errors.Count > 0)
{
Console.WriteLine("Errors found!");
foreach (CompilerError ce in cr.Errors)
{
Console.WriteLine("--> {0}", ce.ToString());
}
}

Good luck. Sounds like a fun project!

I'm not very familiar with command line compiler flags... would I pass in all the resources I wanted to compile after the res:, separated by commas? Or is the .resources a special type of file that somehow referances all the other resources?

Quote:
Original post by 0xCHAOS
I'm not very familiar with command line compiler flags... would I pass in all the resources I wanted to compile after the res:, separated by commas? Or is the .resources a special type of file that somehow referances all the other resources?

You can use any arbitrary file with the /res switch and it'll be embedded in your assembly or output file. I was only using the .resources file as an example. You'll need a separate /res switch for each file you want to embed, e.g. "/res:foo.wav /res:bar.avi /res:quux.doc".

A .resources file is a file containing arbitrary data (bitmap image, sound file, whatever); a .resx file is a .resources file in XML format.

When someone else posted something similar, someone said that you should run the code in another app domain (i think) so that a rogue script is inhibited.

Quote:
Original post by 0xCHAOS

This just appeared a couple of days ago and may be a great interest to you or anyone working with the command line compiler.