need a hand? what about 4?

Started by
10 comments, last by Chokki 19 years, 4 months ago
hello, all! I was just brainstorming for character concepts, and I thought, what would be the advantages of a character with 4 arms? There is the obvious visual differences, but how could having four arms affect the gameplay? I am thinking in the frame of a side-scroller, so it can't be as simple as just a fps where i could put two more guns on the screen [lol] Here are a couple examples of things i think a four armed character could do. World Navigation - The character would be able to climb up a ladder while still having a pair of hands free to use. - The character would be able to swim quickly, by propelling himself with all four arms instead of just two. - The character would have great strength, able to lift and push things that normally people could not. - Character can operate machinery or complete tasks that would normally be complicated for someone who only had two arms. Combat - The character would be able to hold onto four weapons, or use weapons that normally could not be operated by one person. - Added strength will allow the character to rip opponents apart, or hurl them away. - An extra pair of arms allows for blocking blows from an enemy. - If I pull it off, the look of the character would be pretty intimidating. Humor - Instances where the character finds his extra arms to be a comical hindrance, or uses them in a comical fashion. I am looking for other possible things that someone with four arms could do. I am considering one pair might be particularly dominant, i.e. suited more for combat, than the other... I dunno. Also, general input on whether this is even a worthwhile idea would be appreciated. If I get enough information that I'm happy with, I'll get to work on some conceptual art ^^ Thanks for your help!
Quote:Original post by EtnuBwahaha. I would've shot the guy in the balls.
Advertisement
well?

at the very least, do you think there is merit in a concept like this?
Being semi-realistic, coordination is going to be a bit of a problem. Most humans have enough trouble doing different things with two hands, having four would be confusing.

Also, where would you attach the arms? The classic two-arms-from-each-shoulder arrangement looks cool but severely limits the mobility of the arms (for instance, you can't raise your lower pair of arms above your shoulders because your upper pair of arms is in the way). Maybe attach them midway down the torso? That will require reengineering the ribcage to take structural loads.
oh, sorry... forgot to add some of that information :P

The four arms would not be conciously operated by the player independently. Using an extra set of amrs would be implemented as fluidly as possible... this concept would be a help, rather than hinderance.

I had idealized the second (or lower) set of arms to be positioned more frontal, inset into the chest. Imagine a pair of arms growing out from more the pectoral muscle area, instead of at the shoulders. granted, the over-all shoulders would be larger to accomidate an extra pair.

I was imagining such a character to be more robotic (at least in part) rather than biological, so explaining the mechanics of the process of using extra arms would be more feasable.
I think it would be pretty rad.

I would say fractoid went a little overboard with his analysis :) Not having to conciously operate all four arms would be pretty easy. In games you can already climb and shoot with relative ease, so there's nothing saying it has to be more complicated. And I don't think there really is any need for super-realism for how four arms work. Just stick them in, have them look cool, and that's enough. It doesn't really matter if it's realistically possible. After all, we're talking about a four-armed dude.

Hand-to-hand combat would be so intense. Be able to hit 6 people at once if you really wanted to (without some special spinning move), 7 if you head-butt :D

You could be running along shooting anything that runs in front of you, and at the same time either picking up objects from the ground, or catching enemy projectiles (grenades and such) and throwing them back. That would be very impressive.

But ya, I would say a four-armed character would be great fun :)
Like the dog on MDK?
"This I Command" - Serpentor, Ruler of C.O.B.R.A
i'm not familiar with this MDK... dog?

i'm working on some concept art, when its done i will post it so you can see what i've visualized so far.

A question.. What are somethings you wish you could do, that you could do with four arms? It could be one task, or two seperate (i.e. playing the piano and guitar.. just an example :P) or even four simultaniously. This is of course assuming you had profficient skill to handle using so many arms.
Quote:Original post by Chokki
i'm not familiar with this MDK... dog?

linky
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
so its a platformer, right? you could have it shoot in 4 directions: back, forth, and both upper diagonals.

and how about a disarm move? 4 arms trying to disarm you could be pretty unstoppable at close range.

Also, should be able to handle items while firing. Can't think of anything else you didn't already mention.

he would also be able to reach for cigar and lighter and hold the cigar while covering the wind and lighting it :mrgreen:
Working on a fully self-funded project
How about tumbles? Four arms might allow you to become a rolling tumbleweed that bowls over the enemy.

How about climbing and shooting at the same time?

What would REALLY be neat for a side scroller is the ability to treat the second set of arms like the Option thingy in some shoot 'em ups: You could equip the subordinate set of arms to do things like autotarget enemies behind, above or in front while you control primary fire with the dominant arms.

You could carry huge shields, and even shoot and move with them. One set of arms holds it up, the other comes around the shield and fires / attacks.

You could also probably make a mean macrame. And don't even get started about Cat's Cradle. [lol]
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement