Sign in to follow this  

Perl: beginner's question

This topic is 4757 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm looking for a fast, powerful and easy-to-use script language for my engine. I intend to use them in my special effects & AI. I'm learning Perl myself for a couple of days & I don't know when i had PyObject of a scriptfunction, how can i parse number and type of arguments of that function? And do u have any suggestion about which script language i should use?

The general consensiou saround here is pthon or lua. ALthough I am starting to wish I had use AngelCode. I currently use lua in my project. Its not a game, but it is deffinately processor intensive. I found that lua is one of my largest obttlenecks right now. from what I have heard AngelCode is near the speed of C. I can not vouch for the speed of Python. Depending on what you are using though, speed might not be too big of a deal.

Also, C++ in lua is somewhat of a pain. Its more of a workaround than a feature (improting/exporting classes I mean). I have heard that python is better for this.

One thing to keep in mind is that python requires you to tab for code blocks. This is used instead of {} as in C/C++. If I had to suggest a language I'd say Python or AngelCode.

Quote:
Original post by frozenheart
I'm learning Perl ... when i had PyObject ...
Are you learning Perl or Python?

Quote:
Original post by Dweil
One thing to keep in mind is that python requires you to tab for code blocks.
Not exactly true. Python simply requires that there be a consistent whitespace indent between block levels. You can use any mixture of tabs and spaces, and this would have spawned nearly as much debate as statement block brace placement in C-style languages if not for the fact that the Python interpreter automated the process, creating a de facto standard. All that is required is that you be consistent within a statement block.

Sorry, I was confused Perl and Python
I'm learning Python.

Now I'm going to convert my engine to .NET. Is there any script language that can intergrate with .NET? I heard that C# can be used as a script language. Is that right?

This topic is 4757 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.