SOLVED std::max() workaround

Started by
6 comments, last by Mushu 19 years, 4 months ago
Yes, I've been trying to break my VB whoring ways (reformatting the HD helped a little) so I've been working through Accelerated C++ Problem is, one of the examples won't compile - it requires a call to std::max() which, apparently, doesn't exist. (And yes, I've defined <algorithm>, first thing I checked) So, I did a little googling, and found out that in MSVS6, the std::min() and std::max() functions were removed because they conflicted with <windows.h> So, found their workaround, _cpp_min() and _cpp_max(), but is there a workaround around their workaround? Can I overload the function with something similar to a typedef (templates, perhaps)? Wait... can you even overload a function with no parameters if the means of determining which version of an overloaded function to use IS the parameters? "No" would be my guess... am I right? EDIT: solved! Yay! [Edited by - Mushu on November 30, 2004 10:11:15 PM]
Advertisement
To get around the windows.h nightmare, I do one of a few things:

1) Avoid including it at almost any cost
2) Failing that, I use #undef min and #undef max, and that should make std::min and std::max work a treat in that compilation unit.
I don't include it. I think it's included in one of the other headers I put in there (or my compiler is evil).

I'll try the #undef, but I'm not entirely sure that will work - min() and max() don't appear to be members of std at all. I'll know in several minutes, regardless. Thanks

EDIT: nope; I was right. min() and max() are no longer members of the standard library.
Defining std::min() and std::max() for yourself isn't that hard. Ex:
template <typename T> inlineconst T & min(const T & left, const T & right) {  return (right < left ? right : left);}

Yeah, I had an inkling of a feeling there was a solution with templates, but those don't come up for another couple chapters.

...let me try that code anyway, after all you did take the time to type it for me [grin]

EDIT: Yep. That appears to have worked! I'll just switch the signs to get me max(), then... Oh, and if Washu is reading this I still despise templates, just so we can keep that straight.

EDIT2: std::_cpp_min() and std::_cpp_max() seem to work fine too. I wonder why I didn't notice those sooner? Oh well... Thanks everyone!
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
Defining std::min() and std::max() for yourself isn't that hard. Ex:
template <typename T> inlineconst T & min(const T & left, const T & right) {  return (right < left ? right : left);}

Don't forget to do
#undef min #undef max

Before you define your new template functions for min and max, otherwise your preprocessor will do some tomfoolery with the function names.

Or #define NOMINMAX before you include windows.h.
Actually it works fine without it. The problem was std::min() and std::max() are just renamed in MSVC6; _technically_ it would be a problem if "windows.h" was included, but that wasn't where my problem was stemming from.

Just a stupid failure to recognize that std::_cpp_max() == std::max() - They just renamed the darn functions.

That done, I think I'm gonna hit the sack. Thanks for the help!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement