The API

Started by
5 comments, last by ontheheap 19 years, 4 months ago
I'm sure this has been asked over and over, but I guess Ill be a newby and ask it again. I've learnt lots of the basic c++ material, arrays, pointers, structs, classes, inheritance, file input output, console input output, but I want to get into some windows API programming. I actually wanted to learn DirectX So i went out and bought the Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX by Jim Adams, but even though it said it was for a beginner, I still think I need more knowledge in API programming. Sooo.... What would be some good sites to learn the basics of API programming, how to create a window, etc. Without using MFC... I have a text book on MFC already but Id rather learn the actual API first, then learn how to use MFC which in my understandings its just a thin wrapper around the API. Anyways thank you for the help in advance.
~~Johnathan~~LTM my new fad, know it, use it, love it, LAUGHING TO MYSELF
Advertisement
download the full DirectX sdk and investigate.

Look at the example code, and see how they do it (that does not mean it's how you should) - it will show you basics to setup a window.
Go from there.
When unsure it's best to have a dig into the msdn docs and just experiement.
Takes longer than looking up a tutorial, but you will remember it.
IMO, you should start from learning WinAPI basics, not studying DXSDK. At first, you should learn for starting windows gamedev:
1. how to create windows
2. how to get user's input
3. how to provide output
#. GDI?

It would be better if you buy a book on WinAPI (it will be helpful anyway), but if you dont have possibility to do it - just search in internet. Something like that: 'guide on WinAPI', 'WinAPI for begginers'... ;)

Today I found site on D3D, I think it can be very helpful:
www.andypike.com/tutorials/DirectX8/

best regards
Well i learned winapi by the all famous Charlez Petzold "Windows Programming". It features basic things you need to know about winApi, and has some other usefult tips.
The Charles Petzold book on windows is the generally recommended book on the windows API, and I recommend it as well after aquiring it. Even though the book doesn't really teach very much [imo], Petzold does a marvelous job in explaining things. Just little annoying things about windows [like the background about near and far pointers, WINAPI, what handles actually are...] are explained in such a down to earth manner, it makes all of the other win32api resources actually useful.
Keep in mind also that Jim Adams' book is on 3D. You should probably try to make some simple 2D games using directX first. I remember trying to read that book before I had ever even programmed Tetris, I was totally lost.
When you're feeling comfortable with simple windows programming, I recommend that you try your hand at at least one 2d game before moving on.
-------------------------------See my tutorial site: Click here
Right... you're not missing out on anything by not learning the horrid winapi. However, if you honestly feel the need to torture yourself [wink], take a look at The Forger's WinAPI tutorials. I don't see much sense in learning it at this point, however. Well, other than sheer curiosity.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement