Game Idea Needed - Programming Aspect

Started by
4 comments, last by Anri 19 years, 4 months ago
Hey all. I'm going to the UK for about 2 years next and I hope to find a games programming job. Just so you know I've got a Java qualification and +- 2yrs experience. I also know C\C++ very well. Now, I want to make a smallish game to show as a demo. I don't want it to be some stupid space invaders game. I'll be using the OGRE3D engine so I just need an idea that will not take to long but which will display my skills. In terms of the programming, I'm not worried about difficulty, it's quantity that I want to avoid. So please could you throw ideas at me. As well, I'm not a noob games programmer. I have written things before, but they don't really qualify as a demo. I won't be starting from scratch in terms of design and basic concepts. Thanks
The ability to succeed is the ability to adapt
Advertisement
You can always do a simple space shmup (e.g. Asteroids or the like). They're pretty simple; every possible collision scenario results in the destruction of an object (or reduction of health; anyway). If you want something a bit more complicated, you could try a simple platforming game à la Mario; then you need to deal with terrain and a variety of sprite types. There's also always the puzzle game genre, but those are a different kind of programming, really. Mmm...

Wouldn't this go better in the Game Design forum?
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels
Hey, thanks

I will have to make it 3D though.
The ability to succeed is the ability to adapt
How about asteroids, but in 3d? You could also add some enemy ships with AI.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Human Golf.

The world is a massive expanse of huge floating island-like platforms. Each player is equipped with a patented 'one-thump' jetpack. They take it in turns to aim and then launch themselves across the course to the eventual goal. A small amount of air control is provided to limit frustration.
Space invaders is too good for you? OHHHHHHHHH - Where's your handbag?!

Well, it depends on the type of game you want to make. I personally, would leap in and make a simple 19XX or R-type clone. Only difficult thing about it would be basic memory management and scripting.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement