Sign in to follow this  
ignore

i wanna get network game source.. how get it ?

i studied tcp/ip programming but i dont know how to program .. so i wanna get mmorpg game source or example.. my concern is iocp network programming.

iocp ? isnt that used for things like pinging people in a linux environment? im pretty new to the networking world, but i don't think iocp is what you need. sorry if im wrong and im interested in the correct answer to this myself.

i studied Winsock programming
and i think and book say that iocp programming is efficient in Winsock programming.

and i now make 2D mmorpg, so i think i must use iocp.
and i know that unix and linux dont have iocp function , so use Thread function.
is it correct ?

more efficient function exist ? i dont know unix or linux programming .. i can use only window programming.

thanks for answer.
(i'm poor at english)

Quote:
Original post by graveyard filla
iocp ? isnt that used for things like pinging people in a linux environment? im pretty new to the networking world, but i don't think iocp is what you need. sorry if im wrong and im interested in the correct answer to this myself.

I think you are thinking of ICMP. http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc792.html

It's usually helpful to write out the abbreviations you use. I believe you mean I/O Completion Procs, but it could be anything else.

I don't think getting the source for an MMORPG is the best way of learning TCP/IP, or programming in general. There are much smaller programs where the networking is more visible and less hidden in layers of other cruft.

However, if you want the source for a working MMORPG, there are two to choose from: PlaneShift (www.planeshift.it), and Nevrax/Nel (www.nevrax.org).