I feel like I am cheating.

Started by
36 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 4 months ago
When I use SDL. When i first started programming I thought I would be doing a lot more of the put pixel in this color here and this color here kinda stuff. But with SDL all I have to do is load in the image and display it. I know it would take me forever to actually learn how to display a pixel by pixel thing for even a game like pong. Sorry If this is off topic, I just feel like I am using a gamemaker almost. [Edited by - zergdeath1 on December 1, 2004 8:45:52 PM]
Advertisement
DirectX and OGL also provide functions that allow you to load in images - it's quite inefficient to manually colour individual pixels unless you really need to for some reason. Concentrate on designing a great game, it doesn't really matter how it's created. In short: you're not cheating, you're simply making use of the tools available to you.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by zergdeath1
When I use SDL. When i first started programming I thought I would be doing a lot more of the put pixel in this color here and this color here kinda stuff. But with SDL all I have to do is load in the image and display it. I know it would take me forever to actually learn how to display a pixel by pixel thing for even a game like pong. Sorry If this is off topic, I just feel like I am using a gamemaker almost.
This I don't understand.

You should be happy. You don't have to know how to blit images to the screen, and set up video modes.
When you have the time to learn how the drawing is done internally, do attempt to study it. It is always good to understand what's going on "under the hood" even if you wouldn't ever have to touch the core.

Meanwhile, continue what you're doing! It's called "productivity", and in the field of game development, it's considered somewhat beneficial [grin]

Niko Suni

stop cheating, you cheater.
Quote:Original post by waterwizard
stop cheating, you cheater.

Not all of us want to write machine code directly when making games. My hat's off to you, if you do [wink]

Niko Suni

No, Im just saying that, we as programmers (notice how I try to include my self with the higher level people), generaly look down on those who use game makers. So basically we look down on them becuase they use something someone else made, and are taking the easy way, making somtimes decent games, and claiming that they "programed it". But we/I use SDL whitch is a library made by some one else, basically for games. So I feel that I am using a toned down version of a game maker. Sorry If I included you in a group you dont want to be in, took up you time, or abused the use of commas. But this has been bugging me.
I don't consider people who use game-makers to be cheaters. They are however, certainly subjecting themselves to restrictions. To not use the tools available to us (various APIs and Libraries) would be nothing short of stupid.

- Jason Astle-Adams

indeed, zergdeath1, heed the wisdom above. and remember, when you make a game, while SDL may load the image, you still have to provide the image it loads [smile], along with :
* SDL initialization code (it doesn't initialize itself, you know)
* all media (graphics, audio, ect) for your game
* the game code
* animation code
* collision code/physics engine
* graphics code (sdl will flip the buffers, but it won't render
things just for you)
* timer code
* gui code
* ect ..
* a recycle bin, for when you have to rewrite it all again [grin]
all of which is done without a gamemaker. so perk up.

cheers.
- stormrunner
Quote:Original post by zergdeath1
Sorry If this is off topic, I just feel like I am using a gamemaker almost.
Bah, it's silly to think that way.

Do you think Einstein or Stephen Hawking cheated because they didn't start from scrach? Do you think valve cheated because they didn't write their own physics engine? Prolly not.

Every level of indirection comes with a price. The tradeoff is time vs. flexibility. A Gamemaker will allow you to create a game in a relitively quick time period, although it'll severely restrict you to a certan game style. Something like SDL offers less restriction but it requires more work to get anything done. Straight ASM gives you the ultimate power & control, but it'll take a long ass time to get anything workable.

If you truely don't like programming, than use a gamemaker and create your game. There's nothing wrong with that. Only a handfull of AAA titles were created using a gamemaker, but very few gamedev.net members have created a game that was close to sellable.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement