• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Niz0r

OpenGL render to vertex array?

This topic is 5038 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, i have some problems finding out what my options are on this. I have a Geforce 6800 ultra and if the solution only works on that, then it's fine, it just needs to be fast :) What i want is this: 1. I render vertex data to a pbuffer (using rendertexture). 2. I want this data sent to opengl as vertex data. I can't find my way around the possibilities i find on the net... I have a solution running, but it doesn't strike me as optimal. I simply use glReadPixels() to read from the texture into an array, which i then iterate through. Is there some way i can keep my data on the gpu? I heard something about vertex texture fetches could do something, but i have no clue as to what.

Advertisement
Thx for posting, but i've settled on using vertex texture fetches. All the other methods involved using glReadPixels().

The method Buzzy suggested, using pixel_buffer_object does involve "using readpixels" but you're reading data from one buffer object to another, in other words copying vid mem to vid mem, which should be fast. So this is nothing to worry about. So it isn't strictly speaking "render to vertex array" but "copy to vertex array", but it still does what you want and might be better performance than using vertex textures.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!