Samples in Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (October 2004) don't run in Visual Studio 2003

Started by
5 comments, last by superpig 19 years, 4 months ago
Ok... i'm new to this all. I've used visual studio 6 before. I've d/l the new SDK... DX9c ... seems like the sample project files were for vs2002... When i compile a sample... all I get is a black blank window. Any ideas? Is it my system or is this something else? System: ATI Mobility radeon 9000, Windows XP sp2 Cheers, Jason
Advertisement
If you open the Sample Browsen and install a project it should ask you the first time if you open it if you want to convert the project. Click yes and it should work :)

What happens if you run the executable from the sample browser?
-Make sure that you have installed correctly DirectX 9.0. (run DXDiag to see what version of DirectX you have installed)
-Also make sure that you have installed the DirectX SDK correctly because samples needs textures etc that are installed during DirectX SDK setup.
-Maybe you should need the latest drivers for your graphic card.
Yup... dxdiag says DirectX 9.0c ...

I used the default options for DirectX SDK install... didn't think I required anything else...

This isn't to do with the fact that I'm using Visual Studio 2003?

Sample browser... where or what is that??
Ok... found the samples browser...

None of the execs work... All i get is a window with black content in it. This is for all the C++ execs. The managed stuff doesn't even work... takes ages to load...

I've run dxdiag and that says everything is good... all the directx 3d interfaces work (7, 8, 9)....

Is there something I'm missing? It isn't because the samples are all dx9 features only?

Cheers,
Jason
Any takers? any comments?
The SDK works fine for everyone else who's using VS.NET 2003 (including myself).

I recommend you take a look at the section on debugging DirectX apps in the DirectX Forum FAQ. It explains how to turn on DirectX debugging, so that when you run a sample in the VS.NET debugger you'll get messages in the output window explaining what's going wrong. Hopefully that will tell you why you're only seeing a black screen.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement