Sign in to follow this  
Twiggy

Windows SDL Libraries

Hello to you all. Guys, I'm a beginner, and I was looking for good SDL libraries, mainly for graphics and widgetsets, if anyone know where. The thing is is that I looked in www.libsdl.org and all of the libraries there that might be useful are mainly made for linux, and the things that ARE made ALSO for Windows are uncompiled, and I have no idea how to get them ready. Anybody else knows where can I find some good sprite \ graphics \ widgetset SDL based libraries made for windows? Thank you very much =)

You can get SDL_Gfx (good for drawing primitives) at http://www.ferzkopp.net/~aschiffler/Software/SDL_gfx-2.0/

I've been to SDL's site recently. What do they have for Linux but not Windows?

As for the sprite/graphics lib, I encourage you to try OpenGL (seriously). I've been programming SDL graphics for some time using SDL and SDL_Gfx, SDL_Primitives and many many other libraries that have some common things: they're bugged, slow and documentation is missing. Also, as you've already written, sometimes they're just a bunch of .h and .cpp files not tied into one library (though it doesn't matter that much if you can create lib, but you've stated that you're beginner and libs that are for Windows are uncompiled and it annoys you...).
Switching to OpenGL obviously will take much more time than learning one of SDL rendering libraries and you will have to write 95% of functions yourself, but IMHO it's worth it. Stretching, alpha blending, rotating, fliping and all other 2d effects that are so slow and painfull to write in SDL, in OpenGL you get them for free. And they're _amazingly_ fast.

In case you really don't want to use OGL now, you can take a look at: glSDL, SDL_gfx and SDL_prim.

For blazing fast graphics, I am working on an openGL wrapper that makes it easy to do graphics like you would with regular SDL. I should be ready for a public release soon.

Ori dude! :)
We're both living on the same rock (I'm from israel too!), so I thought that if you'd add me to your contact list via ICQ: 242219573, via MSN: ariyes@bezeqint.net or/and via Yahoo: arie_segal I'd be able to help you, a lot! ;)
Chat with ya there ;).