Sign in to follow this  
Visual Basic

C++ or VB

Visual Basic is much better for making games. With VB you could make a good MMORPG in about a month. It would take 2 years in C++. VB.NET is extra fast. So C++ wouldn't have an advantage there. As far as i know there is no advantage to C++. I think one day VB will take over all types of programming and become the god language.

That wasn't a good idea to say something like this, on a site like this, where C++ is the languages of languages for Game Development. You may get some fairly extreme posts not quite agreeing with you.

Just so you know.

Quote:
Original post by Visual Basic
Visual Basic is much better for making games. With VB you could make a good MMORPG in about a month. It would take 2 years in C++.

VB.NET is extra fast. So C++ wouldn't have an advantage there. As far as i know there is no advantage to C++. I think one day VB will take over all types of programming and become the god language.

Your gimmick is too obvious and unfunny. Take it to the lounge.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
With VB you could make a good MMORPG in about a month.

Let us know when you've finished a MMORPG in a month.

You can use DirectX with VB.NET. In the future all games may be made with visual basic.

There are many advantages to VB. You can quickly create a window and the menus that your game will use in about 2 minutes. Then you can just concentrate on the functionality of what those menus do.

VB is a superior code style. It doesn't use braces {}. in C++ people have all these wierd styles for their braces. VB uses indentation, a superior method.

VB has better keywords. like "addressOf" instead of C++'s totally undescriptive "&"

VB doens't force you to write "break" after each case in a switch statement. That is just a poor design of C++

VB.NET has access to everything you need to create a game. And has Common Language Runtime classes you can use that are language independant. So that combined with the superiority of VB makes VB the best game language.

I think his intention was to start another flame war, which isn't very helpful.

Everyone uses the language that they feel most confident and comfortable with. If you want to write games from home then sure go ahead use VB.NET but if you want a job then you had better learn C++ (for most of them).

I've used C++ for years at work, but I have recently been experimenting with VB.NET and the managed DirectX libs and have found the later to be slower by about a magnitude of around 100 (running on the exact same hardware), so the speed thing is still and issue for proffesional development (not to mention the state of the documentation for the managed API).

VB.NET is executes almost as fast as C++.

This is not a flame bait. This is stating the facts that most people don't realize. There is nothing C++ has an advantage on. A small slight speed advantage that is inconsequential.

Can you give 1 reason why C++ is better for games? i can't find 1 reason.

Quote:
Can you give 1 reason why C++ is better for games? i can't find 1 reason.

VB.NET is not available for PlayStation1 and 2, Game Cube, PSP, GBA and Nintendo DS.
Thousands of useful libraries and game engines are for use with C/C++ only (I don't want to re-invent the wheel).

Two reasons stated already, need more?

Actually, the .NET programs run almost as fast as C++. And they may run even faster in teh future. They will have access to registers your C++ compiler doens't even know exists.

Yes yes. VB may become the fastest language in the world.

What are these magical "registers" that you speak off? So in the future we'll have special .NET CPUs that let .NET programs run that extra bit faster?

Please either let this thread die or back up your arguements with objective data.

Console game stations are becoming more like computers. Such as the Xbox. Right now VB, isn't good for console apps. In the future your going to see .NET games on Xbox type consoles. Microsoft is making it happen.

I repeat, the original poster is a gimmick. Get over it! He's just posting to piss you off with his supposed ignorance. All you are doing by creating seriously replies is feeding his gimmick. Ignore him and he will die of starvation!

Mmmm,

Someone please terminate this thread. This dude's obviously trolling - the discussion serves no purpose.

-Arm.

So you are a big fanboy of VB.NET. Good for you. Still I haven't touch it and never will.
What do you want to achieve with thies thread anyway? Convince us to use VB instead of whatever we prefer to use right now?
If so, stop it. There is no such thing as the 'best' programming language. Ever noticed the B in Visual BASIC? FYI it stands for Beginner's (Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code, IIRC). I'd like to keep it this way (no offense intended, VB sure has it's place for RAD in UI intensive Windows-only apps).

Cheers,
Pat.

Guest Anonymous Poster
microsoft is making it happen?
they re getting you to invest in them.

i would think that while vb could be used to write some parts of a game (network, user interface), it would be mostly useless for the important things, like the graphics engine.

sure you could buy one and plug it in, and since you only have a month that might be a good idea.

however many key algorithms in an engine will end up being optimized into assembly (i dont mean compiled),
and dont tell me that vb is faster than assembly.

also, c's low level support allows tricks that im not sure are even possible with vb. if they are, the gains would probably be lost because vb would require a roundabout way.

of course you could make the entire game with vb its just going to suck.

if you knew c++ and vb in depth, you would probably regret starting this thread.