C++ or VB

Started by
18 comments, last by evolutional 19 years, 4 months ago
Visual Basic is much better for making games. With VB you could make a good MMORPG in about a month. It would take 2 years in C++. VB.NET is extra fast. So C++ wouldn't have an advantage there. As far as i know there is no advantage to C++. I think one day VB will take over all types of programming and become the god language.
Advertisement
That wasn't a good idea to say something like this, on a site like this, where C++ is the languages of languages for Game Development. You may get some fairly extreme posts not quite agreeing with you.

Just so you know.
Yeh, I don't see much use coming of this flame-bait.
Quote:Original post by Visual Basic
Visual Basic is much better for making games. With VB you could make a good MMORPG in about a month. It would take 2 years in C++.

VB.NET is extra fast. So C++ wouldn't have an advantage there. As far as i know there is no advantage to C++. I think one day VB will take over all types of programming and become the god language.

Your gimmick is too obvious and unfunny. Take it to the lounge.
With VB you could make a good MMORPG in about a month.

Let us know when you've finished a MMORPG in a month.
You can use DirectX with VB.NET. In the future all games may be made with visual basic.

There are many advantages to VB. You can quickly create a window and the menus that your game will use in about 2 minutes. Then you can just concentrate on the functionality of what those menus do.

VB is a superior code style. It doesn't use braces {}. in C++ people have all these wierd styles for their braces. VB uses indentation, a superior method.

VB has better keywords. like "addressOf" instead of C++'s totally undescriptive "&"

VB doens't force you to write "break" after each case in a switch statement. That is just a poor design of C++

VB.NET has access to everything you need to create a game. And has Common Language Runtime classes you can use that are language independant. So that combined with the superiority of VB makes VB the best game language.
I think his intention was to start another flame war, which isn't very helpful.

Everyone uses the language that they feel most confident and comfortable with. If you want to write games from home then sure go ahead use VB.NET but if you want a job then you had better learn C++ (for most of them).

I've used C++ for years at work, but I have recently been experimenting with VB.NET and the managed DirectX libs and have found the later to be slower by about a magnitude of around 100 (running on the exact same hardware), so the speed thing is still and issue for proffesional development (not to mention the state of the documentation for the managed API).
VB.NET is executes almost as fast as C++.

This is not a flame bait. This is stating the facts that most people don't realize. There is nothing C++ has an advantage on. A small slight speed advantage that is inconsequential.

Can you give 1 reason why C++ is better for games? i can't find 1 reason.
VB 100 tiems slower? i don't think that. I think it's less than 2 times slower. Like maybe 1.2 times slower. NOt 100!!!!
Can you give 1 reason why C++ is better for games? i can't find 1 reason.

VB.NET is not available for PlayStation1 and 2, Game Cube, PSP, GBA and Nintendo DS.
Thousands of useful libraries and game engines are for use with C/C++ only (I don't want to re-invent the wheel).

Two reasons stated already, need more?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement