Sign in to follow this  
bartiss

[web] Best website creation program?

Hi I'm looking for a program to create websites. The problem is that there is to many programs to choose from and I have no idea where to start. I know C++ and most of the graphical issues, so the program I'm looking for doesn't need to be very "rookie-like". What's your favourite and why? Thanks

I don't think C++ will be a concern relative to making websites. You'll be more concerned with dhtml, xml, javascripts, perl, stuff like that. Dreamweaver is the Lexus of website creation programs but it carries a hefty pricetag.

Programs I've used that I really liked are Acehtml, Webdwarf and Arachnophilia. They're all free and they have some really powerful features. I'm not 100% sure but I think Ace had some spyware issues. But the others should be clean.

Honestly, I generally use regular text editors... like gedit, or notepad. Other than that? Right now I'm using a program called Bluefish, because it was handy at the time.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Use your favourite text editor, it is the best way to create a good standard-compliant webpage.

I've been using ConTEXT for my development. Visual editors aren't really much use to me because of my current design method - all of my content is in XML files with the actual 'layout' in an XSL tranformation file (styling is done via CSS). Nothing beats a live preview for me, I need to test in both Firefox and IE so using a visual tool for all-out development can be misleading for me. I have used Dreamweaver in the past (when I had access to it at Uni / work) and it is a nice piece of software... if you can afford it that is.

You could try GoLive, if you have the money for it.

I just use Notepad, though. I don't see the point in memorizing shortcuts and searching through the help file to find out how to make a table, when I just have to type a few tags in a text editor.

It really depends on what features you want in your site. If it is just HTML go with a text editor or something like Frontpage. If you have Photoshop you can save a picture as a web page and edit the tables by hand. A nice site to look at is PegaWeb

Good luck.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Use your favourite text editor, it is the best way to create a good standard-compliant webpage.

I agree with the annonymous poster. It's very difficult to create a webpage that's compliant with today's XHTML and CSS standards using a WYSIWYG type editor such as Dreamweaver and Frontpage.

However, if you know what you're doing, you could create a very involved layout by hand faster than you could in Dreamweaver.

Quote:
Original post by Xtremehobo
I agree with the annonymous poster. It's very difficult to create a webpage that's compliant with today's XHTML and CSS standards using a WYSIWYG type editor such as Dreamweaver and Frontpage.

However, if you know what you're doing, you could create a very involved layout by hand faster than you could in Dreamweaver.

I'm pretty sure that most of the Dreamweaver MX users here (myself included) primarily use it for the IDE and not for the WYSIWYG component. I've not found a web IDE to match it yet, especially one with PHP support. Maybe one day there'll be one for Eclipse...

Apart from Dreamweaver MX I use VIM6 (with syntax highlighting) when editing pages directly on Linux servers and the Web Developers Toolbar plugin for Firefox as a real-time CSS editor.