Sign in to follow this  
gamezo

Ctrl-Alt+Delete

Hi people. I can't seem to find the answer to my worries anywhere, so I thought I'd just come to the source of all knowledge here and ask you. My question is ... I'm using DirectX of course .... I have the window redrawing my scene just fine, except when I push ctrl-alt delete to get the the task manager, it draws over my screen and then I can't get it to redraw what I want in my window. I'm on a windows xp system, and the fact that the windows security window comes up, which takes over the screen until you choose whether you wanna lock computer, log off, open task manager .... etc. I hope you get the jist of my problem. Does anyone have any ideas which messages I should be handing, or where am I supposed to tell my program to redraw itself? Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Guest Anonymous Poster
i don't know all the details but i think you have to re-initialize all the display properties with direct x

thanks a bunch. I wasn't handling the WM_ACTIVATEAPP message. now I have a new problem, when I try to create a device, it returns D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE. Any ideas on why this would be happening? thanks again. well ... I'm gonno go work on this ... see ya

You dont have to re-create the device, you only have to Reset() it. Read the documentation.

It is recommended that you check the Device status by calling TestCooperativeLevel() before entering the render cycle, that way if your device is lost you may try recovery of device and resources before rendering.

Luck!
Guimo