file format question

Started by
1 comment, last by The Z 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi all, I am not too sure weather to put this into DirectX or openGL, oh well let the moderators figure it out. My problem: I have an artist (very far away from me) who makes some nice models I want to use... he uses a program called Cinema4D (on a Macintosh) I use a PC and I am writing in Linux with SDL and openGL... I do not have this program so writing my own export plugin for it is not likely to be possible... but, he has several output options of his program, including (drum roll please) Direct3D (.x) at any rate, I want to write this game in openGL under Linux and I figure that these formats should be relativly simple and easy to read and then create vertex/normal/texture arrays from them so my ugly questions: 1) anyone out there use these formats and have written their stuff so that different renderers are allowed, if so can you share the cod eto read in these formats? or better yet 2) a good reference of what the file formats are? I am awfully unfamiliar with directX and I am imagining that its libraries read the formats for you and you dont have to think about it too much or do folks have to read the files in by hand anyways? the next question is kind of odd, but: 3) Mac's are Big Endian while PC's are Little Endian, but DirectX/3D are PC only… does that necessarily imply that the program outputs those file formats in a PC byte order format? 4) or would I be better of with something like one of: .dxf, 3d studio or shockwave 3d….there are others like vrml1 and vrml2 but those are more like languages and implemtning soething to read those looks hard and painful. Best Regards.
Close this Gamedev account, I have outgrown Gamedev.
Advertisement

i believe with milkshake3d u can convert from *.x files to other formats

i believe there are some examples of loading various files here
http://www.gametutorials.com/
Check out Wostit's File Formats @ www.wotsit.org.
I am a hacker, and proud of it. To quote Webster's Collegiate dictionary: 3) someone who writes computer programs for enjoyment 4) (obsolete) someone who breaks into computer systems illegaly

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement