what do the artists need to know?

Started by
0 comments, last by nuvem 19 years, 4 months ago
Hello Our game project is soon reaching the point where the game is almost ready and we need to start thinking about hiering artists to start creating 3d models for the world and its creatures. I have never worked in a 3d modelling application myself and im wonder about what the artists need to know in order to be able to start working? It wouldn't be any good if something essential was done wrong initially and the model would have to be reworked later due to this. Things i can think of are: * What animation sets each object needs (eg, humanoid = walk/attack/jump etc) * Animation frame rate. * Animation names. Eg "Walk", "Run" etc. * Max number of triangles per mesh. * Mesh standard size? Anyone got anything to add? The 3d modellers what will be used is probebly Softimage|XSI and 3d studio max 4 or 5. Thanks in advance.
Shields up! Rrrrred alert!
Advertisement
An art pipeline.

Which means:
A method to easily export and test models in-game, tweak, and export again.

Sounds easier than it is.

Additionally, you may want to specify in detail the theme and art style for the game. Especially when you have multiple artists contributing. It really blows to get some great art, only to find out the levels are gothic and the main character a cartoon :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement