Execute on Boot

Started by
8 comments, last by iMalc 19 years, 4 months ago
What are ALL the possible ways to start a .exe when the system starts (on XP)?
Advertisement
There's a crapload of ways, especially if you count, not only EXEs, but other executable formats loaded as plugins and components and libraries and whatnot. What are you trying to do... remove a tenacious piece of malware from your system?
Or perhaps incite one ;)
msconfig (startup tab) may be of help.
I have some code here, but don't know does it work or not.

This add register key to run program on boot

TRegistry *reg = new TRegistry(KEY_ALL_ACCESS);reg->RootKey = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE;reg->OpenKey("\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run",false);if(AAutoRun->Checked) reg->WriteString("RailRoad",Application->ExeName);else{if(reg->ValueExists("RailRoad")) reg->DeleteValue("RailRoad");}delete reg;
Here: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
Also

\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\RunOnce key
(run once)

and of cource Startup folder in Start Menu...
i once did actually make a little app which start on star up. what i did was to edit the registry, i cant remember what functions i used but i di remember it was like 2 or 3 api calls. might want to check out programmers-unlimited.com, i did write a little tutorial on this there, but since i forgot all about how to do it. however the posters above kind of covered the registry, but iam sure wat i did was slightly different.
Quote:Original post by GregLoutsenko
i once did actually make a little app which start on star up. what i did was to edit the registry, i cant remember what functions i used but i di remember it was like 2 or 3 api calls. might want to check out programmers-unlimited.com, i did write a little tutorial on this there, but since i forgot all about how to do it. however the posters above kind of covered the registry, but iam sure wat i did was slightly different.
The above code seems to be Borland or whatever the compiler is that has a load of wrapper classes. You probalby used the raw Win32 functions like RegOpenKey(), RegCloseKey(), etc. I used those as well, and as you said, its very simple to do.
Hm... I read somewhere your program gets started on boot if it declares itself a service. Is this information accurate? If so, how can I do it?
Did you actually look at the link I posted above?
It should completely answer your question.

Download the program too btw :-)
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement