New SDL Game (Now With Online HighScores!)

Started by
23 comments, last by Drew_Benton 19 years, 4 months ago
looking good dude.

a few things,

-i had to tap the down arrow to make the block move down. sometimes i want that block to fly downwards, and it gets anonying to have to repeteadly tap it

-i noticed clicking the "X" on the window didnt close the game. you can do this by just checking for an SDL_QUIT event from the message pump.
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Advertisement
I fixed a bunch of the bugs as well as added a bunch of new stuff. Check it out: Goodness!

[Edited by - Rob Loach on December 6, 2004 11:50:52 AM]
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
I would second graveyard filla's reply about being able to hold down the Down key to make the blocks move down faster.

I downloaded the new version, and when I clicked the close box, I received the following error:
"Instruction at "0x77f83aed" refrenced memory at "0x00000003". The memory could not be "written"."

Sounds like a bad pointer reference to me.
My Machine: WinXP Pro, 1.4Ghz Pentium M, 512 MB Ram, Intel Integrated Graphics Card.

Besides that I would say the game is pretty good.

If you do want to add more, I would try incorportating SDL_mixer to add some sound.
Hey looking good!

I made you some new block sets just for the hell of it. They're here. Just rename them to blocks.bmp (for anyone else who wants to try them) and they should work. They're no works of art, but they're something a bit different :-)

Greetings to whoever I got the original textures from (they were originally quite a lot bigger; I resized them and added borders and generally fiddled with them a bit).

cheers
sam
v0.2

Tap space VERY fast and the game box PILES up.
You continue to gain points, and don't get a gameover

Also suggest a GAMEOVER screen and Highscores Table

Finally, if you lower a block a then want to move it into an alcove, it locks:

+-    -+         +-   +|    |+----+

falls to
+- +-+| -+ |+----+

in normal tetris, before the piece locks, hold left and it moves to:

+-+- +|-+  |+----+

If you understand, please include that in v0.3

I second the last poster - the "sliding" mechanism is what separates the Tetris wannabees from the experts!

In addition the score should decrease as the block drops so the player is punished for taking too long. Also you can punish the player for doing too many rotations. That way skilled players can build up points by dropping quickly.

Also you don't seem to be using key repeats which means the player constantly has to press and release buttons to move and rotate. This gets tiring quickly.

Tetris isn't quite as simple as it seems ;-)
Quote:Original post by wyrzy
I would second graveyard filla's reply about being able to hold down the Down key to make the blocks move down faster.
It's on my to-do list [smile].

I downloaded the new version, and when I clicked the close box, I received the following error:
"Instruction at "0x77f83aed" refrenced memory at "0x00000003". The memory could not be "written"."

Sounds like a bad pointer reference to me.
My Machine: WinXP Pro, 1.4Ghz Pentium M, 512 MB Ram, Intel Integrated Graphics Card.
Weird... I'll have to check it out.

If you do want to add more, I would try incorportating SDL_mixer to add some sound.
Planned for when I'm done gameplay [smile].

Quote:Original post by izzo
I made you some new block sets just for the hell of it. They're here. Just rename them to blocks.bmp (for anyone else who wants to try them) and they should work. They're no works of art, but they're something a bit different :-)
Hey, that's a lot, you mind if I include those in the release? You'll of course get on the Thank You list [smile].

Quote:Original post by Zeophlite
Tap space VERY fast and the game box PILES up.
You continue to gain points, and don't get a gameover
Hmmm, strange. It's on my to do list.

Quote:Original post by Zeophlite
Finally, if you lower a block a then want to move it into an alcove, it locks:
Really? It doesn't for me:

In that screenshot, I just moved the blue piece under the green one. Or am I missing something here?

Quote:Original post by Captain Logic
In addition the score should decrease as the block drops so the player is punished for taking too long. Also you can punish the player for doing too many rotations. That way skilled players can build up points by dropping quickly.
Great ideas. I'll see what I can do. Have the score go up when they speed the block down instead of just go up all the time.... Punish too many rotations is an awesome idea. Any more?
Quote:Original post by Rob Loach
Hey, that's a lot, you mind if I include those in the release? You'll of course get on the Thank You list [smile].

No worries, go for it! You might want to adjust the block which is used as the border coz a couple of those that I did make the border really obviously repetitive.

cheers
sam
Quote:Original post by izzo
Quote:Original post by Rob Loach

No worries, go for it! You might want to adjust the block which is used as the border coz a couple of those that I did make the border really obviously repetitive.

I'll include them as "Extra Blocks" that you can download seperatly. How does "Sam's Block Package" sound? [smile]
Heh sounds good :)

Have you played Xixit or Chain Reaction? They are two old Sega Columns-style DOS games with some really cool block sets. Some of them are animated; I reckon some animated block sets would be a cool future addition to your game. Also they have some block sets which aren't all square (as in they are sort of blobby objects that fit into their tile size). Do you handle transparent images? I was going to have a go at doing some that weren't just plain blocks but my pixel pushing skills aren't that great :)

sam

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement