XBOX Programming

Started by
2 comments, last by nitzan 19 years, 4 months ago
If i were to make xbox games would i connect the XBox to the computer with a ethernet cable or could i just burn it onto a CD and put it in the XBOX. I heard XBox uses something extremly like Direct X is that true? So i could just develop on my pc and port it easily to the XBOX
I don't have to do nothing but live and die, everything else i choose to do- I don't know, but my dad says it alot
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by isiahil
So i could just develop on my pc and port it easily to the XBOX

An unmodified XBox will not run any burned CDs. For serious development you would need an official development kit from Microsoft (~$15,000). You can, however, use the DirectX 8.1 SDK and develop on a normal PC. Use DirectInput, DirectSound and Direct3D and you're set.
If your dev PC has an Intel PIII/Celeron around 800MHz and a GeForce 3 Ti card, you're pretty close to an actual XBox (hardware-wise).
You can also toy around with OpenXDK, an open-source XBox devkit.
I have a regular xbox and i dont want to do official games, i just want to make games as an hobby. So how much would it cost to get the xbox moded and where can i get it done or can i do it myself?
I don't have to do nothing but live and die, everything else i choose to do- I don't know, but my dad says it alot
You can do it (the mod) yourself. You can also visit www.xbdev.net for programming info.

Before you mod your xbox, you should check on the legality of doing so.

Nitzan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement