Sign in to follow this  

Windows Programming

This topic is 4758 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been programming for a little while now with C++, mainly just console applications, and was looking to start doing some windows programming. I am having some trouble understanding how to make a resource file in visual studio .net 2004 and was wondering if there are any good resources for this kind of thing online. I checked msdn but couldn't really find that many helpful articles. If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated.

There's a Visual Studio 2003, and a Visual Studio 2005, but not a 2004 version.

Just go into resource view after you created your Win32 application, and create it. This is documented in the included help files; search for ".rc" in the Search function.

my fault, i meant 2003. well i did do the obvious thing which is add new item, add resource file (.rc) but i can't actually edit the file it seems. I can only add icons and other stuff. Maybe i'm just not clear on the concept of how resource files work with windows progs.

Well, actually, you could edit the .rc file by hand (it's just plain XML, if I remember well the last time I tried this). But basically, you don't want to do that.

The resource file should contain the icons, bitmaps, dialogs and menus you want to use within your program. And you can edit them visually using Visual Studio, and use the resources in your program via their resource ID (or you can let Visual Studio do that for you, by creating the classes associated with a dialog box, for example). Just try to find a few "Hello world" VC++ tutorials, and the concept of resources should become clear.

This topic is 4758 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.