Sign in to follow this  
ttb

Linking rigid body state and the scene graph

Hello all, Lately I have been thinking of the best way to link a rigid body state and the scene graph. I don't know the best way to resolve the conflict of who owns the position, rotation of the rigid body. I think that the rigid body should own it's state. And then update it's position in the scene graph after each simulation loop. But the problem is that the coordinate system node in the scene graph is local to that particular rigid body, and not the world. Where as the rigid bodies state is in world coordinates. How have you solved this problem? Am I missing something obvious?? Thanks

What engine are you going with? It really depends on the engine. For instance, in my engine and a few other engines out there, rigid body motion is done through controllers. controllers are attached to nodes in the scene graph and then updated every frame(or as often as they are needed). In my system, all rotations, translations, and scales are all stored as local coordinates.

Okay, so when you are performing collision detection for rigidbody X you have to walk the scene graph for each rigid body Y to calculate it's world coordinates? Isn't that too expensive?