[.net] Detecting Mouse Clicks the easy way

Started by
7 comments, last by HopeDagger 19 years, 4 months ago
Hello, I am making a Word Game in GDI+ and I have a few questions about detecting which word was clicked. I have an event handler to detect the mouse click and that works fine but how can i detect if the letter has been clicked? I have tried: if (x>=130 && x<=280 && y>70 && y<=370) { //they have clicked a square } Well that only partly works and that is the very very long way around things. Is there any easier way because this only works if the form is maximized. Moving the form will mess everything up completley!
Advertisement
Well I don't know much about GDI+, but try having each letter the same width and height. Then have a RECT around each word, then just scan each letter rect and just increment the letter width.

i.e.

#define LETTER_WIDTH 50
#define LETTER_HEIGHT 50

typedef struct tagWord {

string m_strWord; // the word to display
RECT m_Bounds; // the words bounds

}WORD, *LPWORD;

// this computes what letter was clicked on
// it takes the work to check and the mouse coords
// it returns the index of the letter clicked on, -1 if no letter clicked on
int CheckLetter( LPWORD pWord, int x, int y )
{
if ( !pWord )
return -1;

int nX = pWord->m_Bounds.x, nY = pWord->m_Bounds.y; // temps

// iterate thru the letters and see what was clicked on
int i = pWord->m_strWord.size( );
for ( int i = 0; i < nNum; i++ )
{
// check the letter click
if ( x >= nX && x < nX && y >= nY && y < nY )
return i;

// move to the next letter
nX += LETTER_WIDTH;
} // end for i

return -1;
} // end CheckLetter
How about this

using System;using System.Drawing;public class WordCrossword{  struct Word  {    string word;    Rectangle wordRect;  }  // Fill up the Word structure with values for both   // attributes.  public const int maxWords = 60;  public int CheckLetter(Word[] tempWord, int x, int y)  {      for(int i = 0; i < maxWords; i++)    {      if(tempWord.wordRect.Contains(new Point(x, y)) )      {        // Found word      }    }  }  public static void Main(string[] args)  {    // ...    WordCrossword app = new WordCrossWord();    app.Run();  }  public void Run()  {    Word[] word = new Word[maxWords];    // Put in mouse down event function    if(CheckLetter(word, x, y) > 0)     {       //...     }  } }

Anyways you get the idea..
Well how will I actully detect what letter has been clicked well i say letter its a bitmap.
In that struct put an unsigned int and each letter has a unique Id say 1-26.

That should work! If your using bitmaps. Do you have 26 individual bitmaps, or one bitmap with 26 letters in it?

If there individual just use the bitmap name as an identifier.
I still cannot get this working :'(.

Are there any examples out there that provide efficent,logical ways to detect clicks?

Thanks,
Rob
What's wrong with khalligan's example? It should fit just fine into what you're trying to do. It's just a matter of applying the concept he showed of grouping each word (or letter) into a Rectangle struct and checking for a point-to-rect collision using one of the built-in functions.
I cannot get

public int CheckLetter(Word[] tempWord, int x, int y)
{

for(int i = 0; i < maxWords; i++)
{
if(tempWord.wordRect.Contains(new Point(x, y)) )
{
// Found word
}

}

}

to compile in C#. Any ideas why?
Quote:Original post by rob64464
I cannot get

public int CheckLetter(Word[] tempWord, int x, int y)
{

for(int i = 0; i < maxWords; i++)
{
if(tempWord.wordRect.Contains(new Point(x, y)) )
{
// Found word
}

}

}

to compile in C#. Any ideas why?

If I were to take a blind stab in the dark (seeing as you didn't really specify what's going wrong), I'd say that you haven't created anysort of Word class that he used in an example-esque manner. This Word class should have a Rectangle that is set with the bounds of the whole word (pixels), and by this example should be stored in somesort of array. For example:

class Word{	Rectangle wordRect;	Bitmap wordImage;  // Assuming each word is a bitmap, otherwise just write text	Word(Rectangle initRect)	{		wordRect = initRect;	}	public void Draw(int x, int y, Graphics G)	{		G.DrawImage(wordImage, x, y);  // Forgot if this is the exact syntax for DrawImage() -- sorry! :/	}}// Somewhere else...Word[] myWords = new Word[100];  // An ArrayList would probably be a more elegant way :P

You have to understand that nobody can write example code in perfect context with your code, without seeing how you're organizing/structuring things. It's up to you to take the theory/examples we've provided and apply it to your existing code. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement