Storytelling Tools

Started by
0 comments, last by The Zeion 19 years, 4 months ago
I’m now starting to think about how my player GMs will relay a story to the players given the very dynamic nature of my game. My initial idea is to write a simple HTML parser for my game, probably just one that allows hyperlinks, and have the designers (or mod community) write out a storyline in an HTML document. This way we can have an easily editable branching storyline. The GM can use this as a tool to make storytelling easier. I could even release story packs as extra additions to the game itself. The stories would obviously not be able to cope with all eventualities, as players will more likely than not try to do something unexpected. This wouldn’t be the end of the world though because the GM can always improvise if needs be, but it would help to add some structure to a game. It would also give budding new GMs the kickstart they need to get creative and write their own storylines for a game. My question is this: What other features would you like to see in such a tool to make storytelling easier, more flexible and more powerful? A possible example might be to allow the GM the ability to cut and paste dialog from the storyline (which would of course be displayed with working hyperlinks in the game). He could then use pre-written dialog in the game if he/she is having trouble improvising. Would anyone like to add to these ideas? Thanks, Steve
Cheers,SteveLiquidigital Online
Advertisement
If the storyteller is supposed to do dynamic changes during the story, why not use Voice over IP protocol and activate a half duplex audio channel where the storyleller can play a preregistered audio and interrupt it with his own voice when needed?

Half duplex to reduce the rumor of the players, the storyteller just speak and the player just listen

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement