Sign in to follow this  
Daivuk

OpenGL THE question : opengl or glut

Ok, I'm making ogl since a time, creating my ogl window, stuff, bla bla bla, directInput or WinAPI for inputs, etc. But does glut is better? I know its portable, but witch is faster? I dont think john carmack used glut for is QuakeIII engine based on opengl. lol But what about glut? Is it just for Education Purpose? Thanks

well...i am a noob also...but i tried GLFW, GLUT, WGL...

i choosed GLUT...the frame per second count is the same in all when rendering nothing...

my 2 cents...

For speed and flexibility, use the Win32 API and OpenGL. You won't get very far past basic demos with GLUT. It is only for educational use.

Would SDL be suitable for a commercial game, or would it always be preferable to use the API of the target OS?

Quote:
Original post by iNsAn1tY
For speed and flexibility, use the Win32 API and OpenGL. You won't get very far past basic demos with GLUT. It is only for educational use.

Would SDL be suitable for a commercial game, or would it always be preferable to use the API of the target OS?

Sdl is fine. I know for the linux ports of alot of games they use sdl.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by ManaStone
Quote:
Original post by ImperfectFreak
Use SDL!!!

SDL doesn't even allow you to position the window.

But your making a game. Games are usually fullscreen and if your not playing in full screen then it shouldnt matter because you can move your window. If you are making another type of app then yes you should use something else.

______________________________________________________________________________________
With the flesh of a cow.

do Win32 and openGL, its what most of us use, its faster (by how much i dont know), but its always good to learn how to use Win32 anyways, and the basic windowing code for one window is extremely short and easy (although probably not so for a complete newbie to it, i remember i hadta have a reference with me at all times when i was writing my first window)

you could probably also use SDL, id reccomend SDL over GLUT just because some commercial games have used SDL, at least the linux port of UT used SDL, which is a good sign, and i think newer incarnations have used it to.

anywho, i vote SDL or pure win32

hope that helps
-Dan

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by ManaStone
Quote:
Original post by ImperfectFreak
Use SDL!!!

SDL doesn't even allow you to position the window.

But your making a game. Games are usually fullscreen and if your not playing in full screen then it shouldnt matter because you can move your window. If you are making another type of app then yes you should use something else.

______________________________________________________________________________________
With the flesh of a cow.

if it is a simple 2d shareware game you might want to use a window.

none of them are faster than the others (doesnt even come close to factoring in the equation)
also
in sdl u can position the window with SDL_VIDEO_WINDOW_POS=X,Y

I tend to agree with kuladus on win32. I would learn ogl with glut then look in to SDL. SDL was used in UT04, so I think it is good enough for comercial games.

SDL would be a good choice. It is so simple a chimp could use it :)
The documentaion for SDL is also excellent. Other than that win32 and GLUT just plain blow.

Whether you choose Win32 or SDL if go to the NeHe web page, you can find a ready-to-go template program to set up either environment.

Quote:
Original post by Puzzler183
Just use SDL. If you write Windows specific code, you are defeating the purpose of using OpenGL.

Not necessarily. You could write different compiler paths, based on what OS you're compiling for. You have to do that to some extent anyway. It's only a bunch of #ifdefs.

Quote:

DirectX Graphics?

I'd like to see you get that working on *nix.

Anyway, SDL is good. I don't know what people are saying about it being slow, I haven't found that at all. Sure beats writing window creation code for every OS I want to port my engine to.

If SDL is too heavyweight for you, you could always choose GLFW - it's lightweight and cross-platform. It'll handle your input (keys, mouse, joystick) and window management stuff. I used it for a while with no real problems.

SDL is the best way to go...those who say it's too slow compared to win32 obviously haven't tried SDL themselves nor do they have proofs or numbers to show SDL is noticeably slower...

You cannot say that SDL is not slower, it is inherrently slower because of its design, but it IS completely possible that the difference isnt noticeable.
-Dan