THE question : opengl or glut

Started by
28 comments, last by Luke Philpot 19 years, 4 months ago
Ok, I'm making ogl since a time, creating my ogl window, stuff, bla bla bla, directInput or WinAPI for inputs, etc. But does glut is better? I know its portable, but witch is faster? I dont think john carmack used glut for is QuakeIII engine based on opengl. lol But what about glut? Is it just for Education Purpose? Thanks
Advertisement
well...i am a noob also...but i tried GLFW, GLUT, WGL...

i choosed GLUT...the frame per second count is the same in all when rendering nothing...

my 2 cents...
Use SDL!!!
for learning at the first place use GLUT then pure WIN API + OGL then lastly use SDL + OGL
:)
For speed and flexibility, use the Win32 API and OpenGL. You won't get very far past basic demos with GLUT. It is only for educational use.

Would SDL be suitable for a commercial game, or would it always be preferable to use the API of the target OS?
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
SDL
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Quote:Original post by iNsAn1tY
For speed and flexibility, use the Win32 API and OpenGL. You won't get very far past basic demos with GLUT. It is only for educational use.

Would SDL be suitable for a commercial game, or would it always be preferable to use the API of the target OS?

Sdl is fine. I know for the linux ports of alot of games they use sdl.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
It depends on what you want to do with it and on what platform you want to use it.

On Windows Win32 shall be a tad faster.
Oh and the windowing system you use doesn't matter that much. All you need is a window.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Quote:Original post by ImperfectFreak
Use SDL!!!

SDL doesn't even allow you to position the window.
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement