Selling games made with SDL?

Started by
3 comments, last by Gyrbo 19 years, 4 months ago
Am I allowed to sell games I make with SDL? Also, do I have to include my game's source code when I distribute the game? (It's possible that I read the license wrong.)
Advertisement
I think it's okay to sell games made with SDL. There was some catch however... You need to supply SDL source code (or the DLL, can't remember which one). Please someone correct me if I'm wrong!
Yes, you are allowed to sell any application that uses SDL as long as you link to it dynamically (you make use of SDL by a DLL on Windows or SO library on Linux, DYN on Mac, etc) which is the default behaviour as far as I know.

You don't have to include the source to your game, SDL uses the LGPL, which was pretty much derived from the GPL with the purpose of making this posible, You must however include a note about where to get the source to SDL, or bundle a copy of the SDL source, users should be able to compile their own versions of SDL and make it work with your app, so as long as you don't modify the SDL code itself, you are safe.

If you do modify the SDL code, you must include the patches, or submit them to Sam so he may add them to the main distribution.
Perfect. Thanks for the answers guys!
If I remeber correctly, you were allowed to statically link it. The only requirement is that the user has to be able to link it with a different version, if he wants to. The easiest method is dynamic linking, but if you build your entire game into a .lib, and distribute that along, you should be able to keep the source closed and still link statically.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement