Sign in to follow this  
ogracian

Video Cards using 5-5-5 mode...

Hi, I am coding a 2D engine using DirectDraw, but trouble is that my video card (GeForce 3) only offer support for 565 mode in 16 bit; so I wont be able to test my 555 code path. For that reason, I appreciate if someone could recomend me a video card which use 555 mode in 16-Bit color depth. PS: Mainly I am interesed in know if the new ati cards (9600 xt, 9800 and so on) use 555 or 565 in 16-bit mode. Thanks in advance, Oscar

The new x series from ATI are newer than the 9800/9600 XT.

They also released a new card VERY recently, I think it was yesterday, which you should be most worried about.

Hi, thx for your replay, but as I am targeting to casual game players wich offten have "old" video cards, I am in the necessity
to offer support for 555 modes.

And about the new radeon cards I am looking to buy one so if it also support 555 mode the better for me : )

Regards,
Oscar

Quote:
I wont be able to test my 555 code path.
it's been years since I've done any work with DirectDraw, but didn't it have a HEL and HAL abstraction, with HAL being hardware (using your GeForce3) and the HEL being software (using your CPU). Much in the same way we now have REF/HAL for D3D..

Under D3D 8 & 9 the way to test this would be to switch down to the REF device, which should allow you to use 555 modes. Maybe you can get the same functionality by dropping down to the DDraw-HEL?

Not sure if it'll do you any good, but might be worth a try!
Jack