• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
OpenGL_Guru

OpenGL GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP --problems rendering 3D terrain

This topic is 4974 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

maybe i am just openGL'd out for the day and i know i am close just not sure what i am doing wrong. below is how i was doing it before and after that how i am trying to do it now. i am using this method to draw 3D terrain. this first way of drawing the strip was to take already defined arrays. for my program it is terrain[1441][721][3]. basically i took the approach of searching through the data file , set up a few counters then assigned my 3d array that way. of course i knew this isnt the best way to do it but i will continue. after loading all the x, y, z(depth) into the array, my loop to draw it goes as such:
 for(int j = 0; j < numy - 1; j++)
   {
    glBegin(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP);
	for(int i = 0; i < numx; i++)
      {
	  glVertex3dv(terrain_gS[j]);
	   glVertex3dv(terrain_gS[j+1]);
      }

glEnd();
   }  

my updated program now has my array defined after checking for and loading the data. since i am using a class obviously doing it the way before will give me an error. so i crunch through the data and come up with the same numbers but assign the x and y counts to local private variable to the class, then declare my terrain array as such: terrain = new float[x_size * y_size * 3]; this equals to 3,116,883 points. anyway i am trying to change the 2 for loops above to do that same thing but i my program keeps crashing or i play with it and it runs but my strips dont connect(a bunch of points in space) or something else weird happens. what would need to be corrected from below? on a final note, i have loaded my data in correctly as a function that i do not show you is written for that purpose so i not its not any numbers in the wrong place , its in this drawing part itself as below.
 int count = 0;

for(int j = 0; j < y_size-1; j++)
   {
    glBegin(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP);
	for(int i = 0; i < x_size; i++)
      {
	glVertex3f(terrain[count], terrain[count+1], terrain[count+2]);
        count += 3;
	glVertex3f(terrain[count], terrain[count+1], terrain[count+2]);
	   count += 3;
	   //cout << count << endl; 
      }

glEnd();

} 

im sorry for not formatting this to make it more readable -- how do i do that?? then i will go back and change it.. thanks so much in advance! [Edited by - OpenGL_Guru on December 3, 2004 8:28:19 AM]

Advertisement
[ source ] and [ /source ] format the code

Your loop indices are not correct - you're adding 1 each loop but consuming 6 vertices (e.g. i=+6 or maybe it should be j+=6 hard to visualize).

Are the arrays terrain points or are they pre-formatted triangle strips or is the array is full of terrain points (e.g. height-map)? You have to go in a zig-zag pattern to make the strip work with a height-map.

this is how i load the data: code below, its all a 1-D array now(terrain[0 ... total_size] instead of a 3d array terrain[x_size][y_size][3]. they are just stored terrain points. here is how i load the new 1D array:

for(lati = start_lat; lati <= end_lat; lati += cell_size)
{
for(float loni = start_lon; loni <= end_lon; loni += cell_size)
{
lat = lati; lon = loni;
terrain[count] = lon; terrain[count+1] = lat; terrain [count+2] = 0.0;
count += 3;
}
}

start_lat = -90.0, end_lat = 90.0
start_lon = 0.0, end_lat = 360.0
cell_size = 0.25 which equals the resolution of the terrain.

as you might can guess from these numbers this is the world in lat, lon coordinates with a height of zero but i have a file with some height values. i was using 0 to test this one out.

before i had the same looop as above except i had a local i, j to assign to my terrain 3D array with [j][height] values coming from whatever lat, lon, and height happened to be. the difference now is is that i have this big 1D array but somehow i am messing it all up. because i add 6 to count through each loop i have tried dividing y_size - 1 by 6 but that didnt work either. thanks for your time and i hope i answered you questions.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!