ASM project running slowly on system suddenly

Started by
6 comments, last by kordova 19 years, 4 months ago
I realize that this is really vague, but maybe someone could help me out. I am working on an assembly project that jumps into mode 13h and you play a side-scrolling game. It uses vsync as a timing mechanism (assuming an xp-desitination where it's always 60hz). It works fine everywhere but my laptop. The catch is that it worked fine last night until I had to replace my harddrive and reinstall everything. I'm using the exact same .exe etc and for some reason it runs incredibly slowly (both in xp and with DosBox). Any ideas as to what might be wrong with my system?
Advertisement
What happens when you remove the VSync? (i.e.: runs at full-speed).

You sure nothing else is running? Checked your task-manager?

That's all I can think of right now :)
windows xp emulates 16 applications so that might have something to do with it?
that's 16 bit
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
that's 16 bit

Yeah, I know. It ran fine before. I can't seem to recall having to change anything, and it runs fine on uni lab computers that are basically all clean xp installs.
Quote:Original post by Jan-Lieuwe
What happens when you remove the VSync? (i.e.: runs at full-speed).

You sure nothing else is running? Checked your task-manager?

That's all I can think of right now :)

Runs the same way. Nothing in task manager.
Then at least you know it has nothing to do with the VSync ;)

Do you use some kind of timing mechanism? Or was the 60Hz refresh rate your timing mechanism.

Do you/does windows access the HDD a lot?
Quote:Original post by Jan-Lieuwe
Then at least you know it has nothing to do with the VSync ;)

Do you use some kind of timing mechanism? Or was the 60Hz refresh rate your timing mechanism.

Do you/does windows access the HDD a lot?
The program doesn't access the harddisk (aside from the .data at least, everything is internal). It ran fine last night, windows died a terrible death, new windows installation at it runs really slowly regardless of the timing mechanism (which was the vsync).
Hmm. I removed the draw background/tiles functionality and it runs smoothly. Part of what I lost to the disk crash was the rendering code so I made a quick hack last night that basically runs through 160*8 tiles to draw the background (which is actually 10*8 on screen). It ran smoothly last night during the last time I got into the broken windows. However, now it is running slowly...

Could it be because the disk is somehow messed up? I'm going to clean it up again so it's not crunching so much useless data though it's weird that it worked swiftly and now doesn't... It's peculiar because nothing else (media etc) seems to have slowed/broken...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement