[web] Table limit in IE?

Started by
20 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 4 months ago
I have a question for all you Internet explorer troubleshooting gurus, is there perhaps a limit of table depth? That is to say, a table within a table within a table within a table andso on to infinity? Because I've got a website working just fine in Firefox, but as soon as I open it up in IE, everything is out of shape, and I mean, BADLY out of shape. And I have LOTS of nested tables, I so I figured that might have something to do with the problem? Or, well, something to do with the solution to IE's problem? If anyone could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.
Free speech for the living, dead men tell no tales,Your laughing finger will never point again...Omerta!Sing for me now!
Advertisement
Use divs and css for positioning and your life will be happier (even better if you use the ie7 &#106avascript hack to correct all IE badness). <br><br>In leui of that be sure all of your tables rows and cells are closed correctly and that you are using as few rowspans as possible, preferably none. I have never encountered a limit to the amount you can nest tables, although it is a good idea to keep nesting to the minimum needed to achieve your layout.<br><br>Peace.
Yes, I do not believe neither browser has a (practical) limit for how many tables deep a nest can go.

I'd suggest doing what Anonymous Poster suggested, use divs and css.

Out of curiousity, how many tables are in your biggest nest?
How deep do my tables go currently? Umm, not having the code on me at this moment, IIRC, it was around 6-7 or so. I don't use any 'rowspan', only 'colspan', as I have never encountered a situation that required 'rowspan' [smile].

Regarding tables with
and css, well, currently, I'm using
s a bit, mainly for scrolling tables, but css tables? That I've never heard of, although I'll admit I haven't heard of nearly everything that is part of web pages :) If either of you, anonymous poster, or fraKtal could produce a link to a guide as to how this works, I'd be most obliged? Thanks!
Free speech for the living, dead men tell no tales,Your laughing finger will never point again...Omerta!Sing for me now!
The big question is, what kind of data are you putting on a web page that requires 6 or 7 nested tables? That seems a bit excessive.
Check out this thread, as it has a bunch of really good links to various resources for css & web related stuff.

Hope that helps!
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
The big question is, what kind of data are you putting on a web page that requires 6 or 7 nested tables? That seems a bit excessive.

It's for the design, not any data set. I was going to do it with frames first, but I figured that was an even worse conclusion :D
Argh, you all know that feeling of utter stupidity, which makes you want to kick yourself in the head the solution was so simple? That's right, I've got that going in high gear right now [smile]. I've spent all day on this, only to finally realize that I was missing 1 '>' out of around 40KB of code.. It makes me sick to think that I wasted around 7 hours on that :D If only there was an HTML debugger! [grin] What really threw me off is that it worked fine in Firefox, because I figured if it was something as large as a missing '>' it would be picked up by firefox, and screw up there as well. At any rate, I can say with great pleasure that my problem is no fixed. Thanks a lot for you help guys, even though it wasn't relevant in the end, as remember, it's the thought that counts!
I had this problem once.

Turned out, I had to put a NEWLINE (<BR>) after a obviously too wide image. Uggh..
Quote:Original post by SirLuthor
If only there was an HTML debugger! [grin]

You mean something like this? (Online version!)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement