Sign in to follow this  
OklyDokly

The Microsoft double click patent - how does it apply to mobile games?

Hi I've heard a rumour that Microsoft have got a patent on double clicks, on 'limited resource devices.' Does that mean that you can't use double clicks at all in applications on mobile phones, or does the patent only apply for certain functions? I want to put a double click into my soon to be published mobile game, but I don't want to break any laws :s!

Read the patent. All you've heard so far are the loonies who read the first sentence, then make up the rest to suite their own fantasy world.

While substitute for actually using your own brain and understanding of the english language, you can read my own summary:

The patent covers to use of the hardware buttons, on a limited resource device (PDA, as with more and more "PDA" functional phones, phones too), to do more then one action. Specifically, each application launch button (i.e. the keys you normally see on PDAs to launch common apps like the TODO list) can be used to launch the application in a different way depending on how the button was pressed. For example if you press the Pocket Excel quick launch hard button, Pocket Excel opens with the last document used displayed. Double clicking the hardware button causes Excel to launch and immediately show an open file dialog. Finally pressing and holding the Excel quick launch button causes the Excel to open with a blank document.