Sign in to follow this  
raptorstrike

assigning a member expression

ok what i want to know is if there is a way to give a function a statement as a parameter for example (X>9) it will probibly have to take the form of a string but as long as i can convert it back in the end thats fine edit: or even to give it some kind varable or pointer would be fine too edit2: basicaly i want to know if there is a way to treat a compound expression as a single entity

Its fairly simple in scheme for example, but a bit more complex in C/C++/Java.

If you had to do it in C/C++ use the three dots and parse your input yourself, for example:

void complexExpresion(...){
//look up va stuff to learn how to use the three dots
va_list ap;
va_start(ap, fmt);
va_end(ap);
}

Anyway I copied this from a book for you:

statically typed language:
A language in which types are fixed at compile time. Most statically typed languages enforce this by requiring
you to declare all variables with their datatypes before using them. Java and C are statically typed languages.

dynamically typed language:
A language in which types are discovered at execution time; the opposite of statically typed. VBScript and
Python are dynamically typed, because they figure out what type a variable is when you first assign it a value.

strongly typed language:
A language in which types are always enforced. Java and Python are strongly typed. If you have an integer,
you can't treat it like a string without explicitly converting it.

weakly typed language:
A language in which types may be ignored; the opposite of strongly typed. VBScript is weakly typed. In
VBScript, you can concatenate the string '12' and the integer 3 to get the string '123', then treat that as
the integer 123, all without any explicit conversion.

Probably the easiest way to do that is to use a function pointer. You can pass around pointers to functions just like any other pointer, though the syntax for declaring a function pointer type can be a bit messy. Here is an example I found in MSDN using qsort. You pass the function's pointer as an argument of a function by simply using the function's name without following it with parenthesis.

Function Declaration:

void qsort(
void *base,
size_t num,
size_t width,
//Function pointer parameter declaration:
int (__cdecl *compare )(const void *, const void *)
);

Example of Use:

int compare( const void *arg1, const void *arg2 );

void main( int argc, char **argv )
{
int i;
/* Eliminate argv[0] from sort: */
argv++;
argc--;

/* Sort remaining args using Quicksort algorithm: */
qsort( (void *)argv, (size_t)argc, sizeof( char * ), compare ); /*see, the function 'compare' is being passed as an argument.*/

/* Output sorted list: */
for( i = 0; i < argc; ++i )
printf( "%s ", argv[i] );
printf( "\n" );
}

int compare( const void *arg1, const void *arg2 )
{
/* Compare all of both strings: */
return _stricmp( * ( char** ) arg1, * ( char** ) arg2 );
}

In what language? In many scripting languages, and dynamic programming languages, you have closures. In C or C++, you have to use various work-arounds to provide almost-closures, such as functor objects with overloaded function call operators or whatnot.

Quote:
Original post by raptorstrike
all i get when surching for VA is people who live in vermont lol is there another name i could find it under?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclib/html/_crt_va_arg.2c_.va_end.2c_.va_start.asp

either what you guys are saying applys to me and im just not getting it or you missinterpret my question so ill state it one more time

is there a way to imput an equation into a function like:

solve(X > 1 - 2)
or to store it in a variable
expression_holder A = (X + 1 -2/2)
not what it equals because that will depend on the varable past at run time but just the equation thanks again [smile]