Sign in to follow this  
ballack

help on chess game dev

hi everyone, i am planning to do a chess game as my project in college. but i don't know where to start. can anyone tell me where to start,which is the best tutorial on the web ets, i would be very thankful if u can help me.

I have graduated from my computer science degree about 5 months ago.

I did one semester of Artifical Intelligence - great subject!

I'm not ready to tackle programming a chess game yet as it is not a trivial task - I'm working on my first game at the moment, good old tic tac toe!

Anyway, based on what I've learnt, I would suggest that you read up on the minimax algorithm and some of its enhancements like alpha-beta etc.

This information will be useful when you are programming the artifical intelligence of your computer opponent.

You should be able to find lots of information on the relevant topics at the American Association for Artifical Intelligence:

http://www.aaai.org/

You might also like to ask around for recommendations on a good A.I text book (if you don't already have one).

It may also depend on exactly how much you want to do and what you want to get out of this project.

You might be able to find a tutorial on the net specifically didicated to showing people how to write a chess game...but I personally think that you would gain a lot more from the experience if you were to have a good think of the issues involved first and then perhaps seek help from your college lecturers etc.

I hope this helps!

Good luck!

J-Ral

[Edited by - J-Ral on December 3, 2004 12:35:02 AM]

Hi ballack,

Just wondering, I think we might all be able to help you further if you were able to tell us why you feel you might need some more information instead of/in combination with (?) that contained in the tutorial on chess programming that Mike pointed out.

The more information you can provide on your background and current knowledge, the more arsenal everyone will have to help you effectively.

Are you just starting your education at college?

Do you already have programming experience?

Have you programmed any games before?

I've partially completed a chess game myself. I started by drawing the board on screen, and then putting the chess peices onto the board. Next, I worked on letting a player move the peices, but only to valid locations (fun part).
I haven't put in the code for special rules yet, like En pasant, castling or check.
I haven't done the AI for the game yet either, but I'm considering a heurustics algorithm which will look at every possible move for every peice on the board. I am going to have to create two AI instances, one for the AI player, and one to guess which move the player will make (best move for player). then play out simulated games X number of moves ahead to determine which move would have the most favorable outcome in the end.
Anyways, AI is a whole nother can of worms. Focus on drawing your board first, and letting two human players play against each other on the same machine.
I also recommend starting off with Tic-tac-toe with the heurustics AI so you don't rip your hair out trying to apply heurustics AI to a much more complicated game like chess. (I should do that too), you can apply the working model of the AI for tictactoe to your chess game, and just add tweaks to it.
Enjoy!